Nitrates struggling to reduce

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank 20G nano softies tank with 4 fish. Flasher wrasse, 2 clownfish, 1 dottyback and 2 shrimps cleaner n bloodred.
Nitrates are always high as per salifert kit 50ppm.
I tried biopellet reactor it was doing good job but was facing issues as pump failed twice,
other pump was giving electrical shock so i turned it off by which i faced some bacteria bloom.
I dont want to try carbon dosing like nopox, sugar, vodka or vinegar because i am afraid that i will mess up with it face a tank crash.

Recently added some macro algae 20 days ago and its growing but little algae in back sump will not make any difference and it didn't a bit also.

Should i try Seachem Matrix or bio sphere? will make sense?
Water changes are bi weekly 16 liters from 75liters. I was doing weekly 10% WC which was also not making any difference to nitrates.
Using activated carbon and phosphate Minus in mesh bag for clear water and reduce phosphates. My phosphates are low I dnt have any algae issues.

What options i have left to reduce nitrates?

Appreciate if anyone can help.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've struggled over the years with nitrate issues in one of my tanks too. For me, over feeding is the issue. I can't have a clean up crew in this tank because my fish eat them, and broad casting food allows food to fall between rocks where fish cannot get to it. Eventually it breaks down in the tank and causes water quality issues. I deal with it by doing large water changes weekly, cleaning the sand bed well regularly, and running a pellet reactor. The three prong attack seems to be working well for me.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've struggled over the years with nitrate issues in one of my tanks too. For me, over feeding is the issue. I can't have a clean up crew in this tank because my fish eat them, and broad casting food allows food to fall between rocks where fish cannot get to it. Eventually it breaks down in the tank and causes water quality issues. I deal with it by doing large water changes weekly, cleaning the sand bed well regularly, and running a pellet reactor. The three prong attack seems to be working well for me.

Good luck!
thanks mate.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s only 20g why not increase water changes to see if that helps
Is your Ro di water clean?
yes using RO+di water 0 tds.
Large water change idea is good but will it remove my good bacteria and cause more issues?
But i am unable to figure out what is causing the problem.. feeding is also on check...
I am doing polylab booster + reef roids once a week. u think that is adding alot of nitrates?
Shall i try seachem Matrix?

I feel i have very less biological filter in my back sump.
left side i have filter sock right side filter basket i have few little black spong and macro algae with pink and blue 2:1 led for it to growing.
IM Ghost skimmer
+ mesh bag of activated carbon
+ mesh bag of Aquaforest Phos Minus
Thats all. Do you think its less?

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been on top of your filter socks? That can trap a lot of stuff
What are your other readings? Is it just the nitrates thAt are high?
Maybe try cutting out reef roid or the booster to one or the other for right now.
Are you sure you even need it?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes using RO+di water 0 tds.
Large water change idea is good but will it remove my good bacteria and cause more issues?
But i am unable to figure out what is causing the problem.. feeding is also on check...
I am doing polylab booster + reef roids once a week. u think that is adding alot of nitrates?
Shall i try seachem Matrix?

I feel i have very less biological filter in my back sump.
left side i have filter sock right side filter basket i have few little black spong and macro algae with pink and blue 2:1 led for it to growing.
IM Ghost skimmer
+ mesh bag of activated carbon
+ mesh bag of Aquaforest Phos Minus
Thats all. Do you think its less?

Larger and more frequent water changes will have zero effect on your biofilter.
The bacteria of an established biofilter are predominantly on surfaces, not in the water.
To avoid adverse effects, always make sure the new water is a good match for the current tank conditions including temp, salinity and alkalinity.

I'd stop using the polyp lab booster. Reef roids should be ok if not used in excess.
Some Matrix in the sump might help but may take a long time to get established.
Another similar product that some people have used successfully for denitrification are Siporax rings.
The larger pond size Siporax rings are better but also harder to find.

Most of the mini skimmers aren't that effective. That one in particular gets pretty bad reviews.
You could consider upgrading to a HOB skimmer, or a different mini like the Icecap K-1 (if it fits.)

Also, adding something to remove organics before they decompose might be useful. Products like Purigen or PolyFilter.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria of an established biofilter are predominantly on surfaces, not in the water.
To avoid adverse effects, always make sure the new water is a good match for the current tank conditions including temp, salinity and alkalinity.

I'd stop using the polyp lab booster. Reef roids should be ok if not used in excess.
Another similar product that some people have used successfully for denitrification are Siporax rings.

Most of the mini skimmers aren't that effective. That one in particular gets pretty bad reviews.
You could consider upgrading to a HOB skimmer, or a different mini like the Icecap K-1 (if it fits.)

Also, adding something to remove organics before they decompose might be useful. Products like Purigen or PolyFilter.
Excellent write up. I would take everything as an great recommendation and try out the things. Thanks mate.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try cutting out reef roid or the booster to one or the other for right now.
My corals like reef roids and booster so i feed them weekly once not sure i need them or not.
My nitrates and phosphates also high its around 1ppm recently after last week water change my KH and calcium also high and not going down i dnt test Magnesium... KH is 11 dkh and calcium is 490 ppm as per salifert kit... i test this for a week and still remain the same KH n Ca is high on same rate... I am not dosing anything just weekly water change ... I didn't do a water change this week coz I want this to come down, due to some reason my tank is not consuming KH and calcium... any idea why? for phosphates I have changed the gfo in mesh bag i will test it again if it comes down or not...

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals like reef roids and booster so i feed them weekly once not sure i need them or not.
My nitrates and phosphates also high its around 1ppm recently after last week water change my KH and calcium also high and not going down i dnt test Magnesium... KH is 11 dkh and calcium is 490 ppm as per salifert kit... i test this for a week and still remain the same KH n Ca is high on same rate... I am not dosing anything just weekly water change ... I didn't do a water change this week coz I want this to come down, due to some reason my tank is not consuming KH and calcium... any idea why? for phosphates I have changed the gfo in mesh bag i will test it again if it comes down or not...

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filter sock i wash it in just tap water in washing machine and change it weekly...

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

which HOB skimmer do you recomend? for my 20G + is HOB skimmer is better upgrade compared to all nano skimmer ?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which HOB skimmer do you recomend? for my 20G + is HOB skimmer is better upgrade compared to all nano skimmer ?

Sorry, I've never used one myself. Because size matters when it comes to skimmers, a properly designed HOB unit can be larger and function more like an in-sump or external skimmer.
I'm just now setting my a 20g nano myself, and I'm going to try the Icecap K-1, which just barely fits in the rear sump compartment. Don't know yet if it will be sufficient or if I will have to upgrade later.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back