Nitrates

mikedelgado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using ro/di water? Check your source water and freshly mixed saltwater to make sure you arent dumping nitrates back in to the tank. My ro/di tests positive for nitrate at 1 tds.

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never needed an Algae scrubber, and had 0 nitrates within 1 month of adding the 6 inch sand bed. I quit testing after a while because it was always 0. Now I just need a natural way to keep my phosphates in check without buying Rowaphos.

That's where the algae turf scrubber comes in. The type of red and green turf algae that grows on the scrubber screen consumes phosphates.

bobzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never did answer about sand, I don't believe. Did you keep the old sand? Get new sand? Is all of the hardware the same as before?

You didn't say what your nitrate reading is - or what test kit you are using??

Water changes: If you are reading 30ppm nitrates, and you change out 50% of your entire systm water volume at once - with ZERO nitrate fresh saltwater; your nitrates should drop to 15ppm. At least temporarily.

If you have a 40-breeder and 20-gallon sump (no frag tank, no refugium); figure your sump is about half-full, so that is a 50-gallon system. A 12-gallon water change (be sure your new water has ZERO nitrates) is a 25% water change. Your nitrates, measured right after the water change (give it an hour to mix) should have dropped 25%. The next time you did it, it should drop 25% of whatever your nitrates are just before the water change.

Some tanks will be very hard to get to 'VLN' (very low nitrates) condition. I have a very successful reef tank (TOTM even) that has never had less than about 20ppm nitrates. But if I ever let it get above 40... corals start going to heck.

Good luck!
bob

OP
OP
P

pick91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept the old sand did not let it dry out during transport all the same hardware friend tested my water so not sure what kit he used what kit do you recommend also didn't give me a reading just said they were very high
i'm so new at this about to give in but hard to when water looks crystal clear coral and mushrooms and coral are growning like wild fire and it is SO RELAXING TO SIT AND WATCH!!!!!!!

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by moving the sand you oxygenated the sandbed and killed most of the anaerobic bacteria that converts nitrAte to nitrogen gas.

OP
OP
P

pick91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did not take the sand out of the tank and it was wet during the move if this is my problem how can i correct it

thank so much for all the help

OP
OP
P

pick91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nitrates are getting better added some activated carbon thank you all for all the help gonna purchase some more chato later on this week and what ever anyone else can reccommend that i get

Love My Tank
Donna

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seachem test kit for what ammonia? nitrate? salinity?
I assume you mean nitrate I don't think that would matter much but I ask the LFS near me what they use and use that as well.
At least that is what worked for me. I go to a very respected LFS though.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like salifert test kits. I did just buy some new Elos kits but Saliferts are a little cheaper.

OP
OP
P

pick91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well a test kit that would test for everything ph,ammonia,nitrites,nitrates, etc. well my local LFS has been away his wife is ill that is why haven't asked him not available when i get over to see him

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to remember with nitrate kits is that most measure total nitrates but some are calibarted to measure only the nitrogen part of the nitrates. Which means they read about 1/4 because the conversion factor is like 4 (plus a little bit) nitrogen-nitrates to total nitrates.

So be sure to read the instructions.

hopefully you tank will read unmeasureble with either kit.

my .02

Fragged_it

Dremel_Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you determine where the nitrates are coming from and you have eliminated the source, try a sulphur denitrator. I've been running one for over a year and it is the best piece of equipment I have second to my skimmer.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back