nitrates

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what's causing the mass amount of nitrates then. With too many fish, every time they breathe its just pumping ammonia into the tank. Blue tangs especially are ammonia factories, and recommended minimum tank size is ~700 litres since they can grow to be over 30 cm.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what's causing the mass amount of nitrates then. With too many fish, every time they breathe its just pumping ammonia into the tank. Blue tangs especially are ammonia factories, and recommended minimum tank size is ~700 litres since they can grow to be over 30 cm.
So ifi leave just the pyramid butterfly the foxface and the scopas and add some more smaller fishes later would I be OK with the amount of fish?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest going through each species and checking their minimum tank requirements as adults. Foxfaces can grow to be about 22cm, and would need just under 500 litres. If you could add a sump with a protein skimmer to increase your water volume significantly, you'd be able to keep some larger fish, but I'd recommend in that case just getting a larger display anyhow.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest going through each species and checking their minimum tank requirements as adults. Foxfaces can grow to be about 22cm, and would need just under 500 litres. If you could add a sump with a protein skimmer to increase your water volume significantly, you'd be able to keep some larger fish, but I'd recommend in that case just getting a larger display anyhow.
Haha tell that to my family.. I would be more than happy to go with a bigger tank or with sump but unfortunately they won't let me.. So I need to get rid of my blue tang for sure and 3-4 more fishes over time

Just to know how much could a sump cost (only the sump as I already have a skimmer for 500 liters

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights lights you will need to considder lights

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my suggestion for sure. It's pretty simple to find care sheet information for almost any type of fish in the hobby that gives recommendations for tank size and chemistry. Take a look through which fish you have that match the size of the tank you have and go from there. Having a few small fish will do wonders for minimizing the amount of algae, as well as having the best chance for living a long, healthy life themselves

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my suggestion for sure. It's pretty simple to find care sheet information for almost any type of fish in the hobby that gives recommendations for tank size and chemistry. Take a look through which fish you have that match the size of the tank you have and go from there. Having a few small fish will do wonders for minimizing the amount of algae, as well as having the best chance for living a long, healthy life themselves
Well I suppose it's removing time.. I don't want to leave them but if this is what it takes I should probably give them away

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do u mean? I have 2 t5s 1 blue and 1 purple - blue (can't add more because of the build of my tank)
Different corals need different levels of lighting. Just like fish selection, some corals do better in certain environments. Some people have luck with T5's, some people find LEDs to be better for growing coral. As long as you research and select a coral for what level of lighting you either currently have, or upgrade to, they have a good chance of success. Again, research is key on how to acclimate coral to the water and to the light as well.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also after adding carbon and did my wc all of my fishes started to pick on my rocks.. Could this be a sign that green algea is forming and other good critters appear?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I suppose it's removing time.. I don't want to leave them but if this is what it takes I should probably give them away
Its always tough to rehome a pet, but one day you'll have a large tank in a house of your own! (I'm 24 and just picked up a 200 gallon/750 litre tank that I've wanted since I was a kid). All about planning and budgeting, then nothing is impossible.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different corals need different levels of lighting. Just like fish selection, some corals do better in certain environments. Some people have luck with T5's, some people find LEDs to be better for growing coral. As long as you research and select a coral for what level of lighting you either currently have, or upgrade to, they have a good chance of success. Again, research is key on how to acclimate coral to the water and to the light as well.
Yeah I know that.. For now I will go for zoas and mushrooms and other softies.. My lfs told me that i am going to be OK with these lights especially for softies and some LPS... I won't touch corals like acropora right now as I know they have much more Requirements

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always tough to rehome a pet, but one day you'll have a large tank in a house of your own! (I'm 24 and just picked up a 200 gallon/750 litre tank that I've wanted since I was a kid). All about planning and budgeting, then nothing is impossible.
Very nice mate.. Hope your tank goes well and I hope your words will come true.. I wish I buy a big tank in the near future

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know that.. For now I will go for zoas and mushrooms and other softies.. My lfs told me that i am going to be OK with these lights especially for softies and some LPS... I won't touch corals like acropora right now as I know they have much more Requirements
How old are your lights as well? T5s and T8s do have a usable lifespan and most recommended replacing the bulbs yearly.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are about 6 months old.. I know that they need to be replaced every year or so
That should work for most softies then. Again, research each species before bringing it home for the best chance of success. Once your nutrients are under control, you should be good to go! BRStv has some great guides for reef tanks and startup. They're definitely a wealth of information and a great resource.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work for most softies then. Again, research each species before bringing it home for the best chance of success. Once your nutrients are under control, you should be good to go! BRStv has some great guides for reef tanks and startup. They're definitely a wealth of information and a great resource.
Yeah I know research plays an important role in reefing.. Yeah I already saw a lot of the brstv videos and helped already a lot
Something alse,my lfs told me to use nopox instead of carbon for nitrates .. Does anyone have an opinion about that?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see; NO3: PO4-X Nitrate and Phosphate remover. Basically, products like these can reduce the toxic levels of phosphate and nitrates to make it safe enough for your fish to breathe, but they're largely short-term emergency solutions rather than the long-term solution of an appropriately stocked tank

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see; NO3: PO4-X Nitrate and Phosphate remover. Basically, products like these can reduce the toxic levels of phosphate and nitrates to make it safe enough for your fish to breathe, but they're largely short-term emergency solutions rather than the long-term solution of an appropriately stocked tank
I see so it just gives u a temporally solution for your nitrates and phosphates.. I could possibly use it to get them off my tank in combination with some fish removal

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back