Nitrite Levels High

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so my tank is a month and a half old right now. I've had fish in there for 2 weeks. A small clown and a firefish. Testing my water today and nitrites are at .25ppm my ammonia is at 0.

I don't think I'm overfeeding my fish. I feed them once in the morning they eat 90% of the food I put in and then again in the evening with same results.

I dosed some extra bacteria to see if that will.help bring down the nitrite levels. Any help would be appreciated as I currently have 2 other fish in qurantine waiting to go into the tank next week. Need to get my parameters in check first.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are non-toxic to marine fish. Ammonia is at zero and you’re building up bacteria that eats nitrite. If you have no corals I wouldn’t worry too much about the nitrites.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your system actually had a problem cycling, then ammonia and nitrites would be higher than just zero and 0.25, so all is well - the tank is slowly maturing and no reason to hold fish in quarantine longer because of a 0.25 nitrite reading.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back