Nitrite reading on API test kit confuses me, water change needed prior to fish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefnoob9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefnoob9

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2025
Messages
25
Reaction score
5
Location
St. Johns, NL
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 8.5 after dosing 2 ppm ammonium chloride alongside Fritz Turbo Start.
1000076382.jpg


Is this supposed to be zero nitrite? The manual says "the closest match indicates the PPM of nitrite in the water sample"

am i ready to add juvenile clown fish?

SeaChem ammonia alert shows SAFE, and nitrate reading:
1000076383.jpg


I read this as 20 ppm nitrate.

Can I /Should i now do a 10% water change prior to adding fish? Haven't changed the water in 5 weeks now (during waiting on deliveries and fishless cycling)
 
What is the ammonia level? Ammonia should be zero. The nitrate looks like 20 to me too, what is the ammonia reading? If the ammonia is zero (or .25), then yes the tank is cycled and you can add a fish.

Nitrite is not harmful in a saltwater tank. Further, API is notorious for always showing .25,.

I would suggest to upgrade the test kits down the road if you ever want corals. API is ok for getting through a cycle and for fish only tank, but if you decide to get corals down the road then you will better test kits. Good luck
 
I am no expert, just starting back in the hobby. Little background, totally going fishless cycling this time with my old Marco rocks and Fuji rocks that I've beached. I did this because it had been dry for years and I wanted to start "fresh" They where air dry in sun for days to remove the bleach. Now I have them in a drum (heater and flow pump) to cycle. I am doong this while I build the display and sump set-up. I am doing it similarly to whay you are doing. API test are tricky to use (search here for many discussions). From you pics, I say you have 0 Nitrites (no purple tint), you mentioned seachem has NH3- at safe (so 0 ppm). Sounds like it cycled, BUT do you have enough nitrifying bio mass to support fish? Seems like you are taking it slow, so if it was me I added another 1 to 2 ppm of Ammonia ( measure this with API after it mixed to confirm). Then 12 hrs later measure Ammonia again and Nitrites. If you have good bio mass, should see reduction in NH3- and some Nitrites (purple tint). Certainly after 24 hours, if not this will help build that population of bacteria to support fish. I like this check so I know adding live fish will be supported. Once this cycle has completed, do enough of a water change to reduce Nitrates and start with stocking. Well my my 2 cents...
 
Ignore nitrite. The values are not important unless the goal is to see if it is interfering with a nitrate test result.

The idea of a water change after cycling is, IMO, based on a number of inaccurate ideas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new