Nitrite spike from dead fish

NinjaSeaTurtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed last night my urchin was turning itself upside down last night and this morning noticed some spine loss. Upon further investigation found a fish had died in the back and most likely been there a few days (probably 3). I removed the fish and checked levels. Ammonia seemed to check out at 0 (api kit is all I had on hand) nitrites came in at 0.25ppm and nitrates looked closer to 0pm than 5ppm so probably in between there. Tank is 4 years old although I broke it down to move about 2 years ago and is about 100 gallons in volume. What's the best plan of action to help the urchin get stabilized. 10 gallon water change? 20? More? Or let the tank take care of itself and hope for the best. I should also mention the urchin is new this week. I floated the bag for about an hour and then drip acclimated in bowl for about 2 hours (in the sump to keep temp stable) just figuers I have my first fish death in 2 years the same week I get my new urchin so I'm not sure if it's shock or the nitrites or both any advise would help

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take no action the spine drop wasnt linked to the fish loss

we have spine loss threads plenty, mere timing thats all, the nitrite will be resolved by now but non digital kits may take days or weeks to show it. There’s never a time in display tank reefing you need to test for nitrites. Our reefs have more than enough surface area to process the occasional fish without harm, my pico reef once had to digest an entire cherry head goby as I wasn’t going to take apart the reef back then to remove it.

theres no doser, action or follow up measure to be done.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that if ammonia is not elevated, there is no cause for concern.

Nitrite is not toxic in marine systems at any level attained in a normal reef tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back