Nitrites increased

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 25% water change 4 days ago and now Nitrites are 0.05 and Nitrates are 0. Before the water change Nitrites were 0 and Nitrates were 2. Amonia has stayed at 0. Added beneficial bacteria at water change and turned skimmer off for 3 days. Is this normal?

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Cycled already? Or going through a cycle? What was the need to add bacteria on WC?
Tank is only 1 1/2 months old. Cycle completed at 3 weeks. No reason for adding bacteria just had read that you should add beneficial bacteria at water changes. Used 1/2 bottle of Dr. Tim's.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont test nitrites so not sure if normal. Seems reasonable if sand was stirred up or something.

In any case nitrites are nothing to worry about especially at that level which may or may not be be related to testing variance

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont test nitrites so not sure if normal. Seems reasonable if sand was stirred up or something.

In any case nitrites are nothing to worry about especially at that level which may or may not be be related to testing variance
But don't you need nitrates are not necessarily? I'm wondering if the nitrites will convert to nitrates eventually.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But don't you need nitrates are not necessarily? I'm wondering if the nitrites will convert to nitrates eventually.

Yes a little nitrate is good and nitrite will convert to nitrate. I would not worry about nitrite, but if nitrates stay at zero i may start getting concerned depending on age of tank, whats in there, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any filter sources (pads, socks, etc have the ability to store nitrates and release them when clogged. Clean filters regularly and instead of carbon, try a pouch of Chemipure elite which will bring down nitrates and keep them in check
Main causes of sudden nitrates generally are :
  • The aquarium is too young for the livestock within it
  • Overstocked. Too many fish
  • Not enough Live Rock/Live Sand/Beneficial Bacteria habitat
  • Overfeeding
  • Little or no water changes
  • Small water change volumes
  • Too much detritus
  • No protein skimmer or protein skimmer is too small
  • False readings especially with API test kits

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a little nitrate is good and nitrite will convert to nitrate. I would not worry about nitrite, but if nitrates stay at zero i may start getting concerned depending on age of tank, whats in there, etc.
Only have a CUC, 2 small clowns and 2 cleaner shrimp so far. Looking to add another fish in the next month.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 25% water change 4 days ago and now Nitrites are 0.05 and Nitrates are 0. Before the water change Nitrites were 0 and Nitrates were 2. Amonia has stayed at 0. Added beneficial bacteria at water change and turned skimmer off for 3 days. Is this normal?
I mean nitrite at 0.05 is a very, very, very small deal.

But anyways, curious about how it increased. Water is the nitrite reading for your water source/salt mix?

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea that because you are testing 0 nitrate means your aquarium is underfed is not correct. If your aquarium is consuming what is being added, that’s fine. Brs and coral euphoria have done great videos explaining this. Your tank is just new and going through it’s growing pains. Practice patients and do not be reactive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

But anyways, curious about how it increased. Water is the nitrite reading for your water source/salt mix?
See above as what I posted that would increase them

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any filter sources (pads, socks, etc have the ability to store nitrates and release them when clogged. Clean filters regularly and instead of carbon, try a pouch of Chemipure elite which will bring down nitrates and keep them in check
Main causes of sudden nitrates generally are :
  • The aquarium is too young for the livestock within it
  • Overstocked. Too many fish
  • Not enough Live Rock/Live Sand/Beneficial Bacteria habitat
  • Overfeeding
  • Little or no water changes
  • Small water change volumes
  • Too much detritus
  • No protein skimmer or protein skimmer is too small
  • False readings especially with API test kits
Nitrates are 0. Nitrites are 0.05. Not overstocked, plenty of rock and sand, not using APU, using red sea test, have a skimmer and just did 25% water change on a 90 gallon tank with 49 gallon fuge.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea that because you are testing 0 nitrate means your aquarium is underfed is not correct. If your aquarium is consuming what is being added, that’s fine. Brs and coral euphoria have done great videos explaining this. Your tank is just new and going through it’s growing pains. Practice patients and do not be reactive.
Thank you!!

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Didn't check that. Should I do a full parameter check on the salt mix before adding it?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See above as what I posted that would increase them
I was asking about the nitrite not the nitrate.
Didn't check that. Should I do a full parameter check on the salt mix before adding it?
Honestly could just be some misreading or whatever. 0.05 nitrite is not really consequential to anything. I was just kinda curious to be honest.

Even if you check your water prior to mixing and found it contained 0.2 nitrite, yeah it is not like it really changes anything. If your tank is properly cycled that nitrite blip would go away soon enough (presuming it was a true reading).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back