Nitrogen Cycle - Water Test?

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was starting a tank with IO salt and Live rock etc. But I was wondering how often do you check your water quality? and methods of dealing with water quality DURING the cycle. (I have a skimmer running).

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you just add an ammonia source and let the tank cycle. You don't do much to it at all except test for ammonia, and once the ammonia starts to go down you test nitrite, once nitrite goes to 0 you test nitrate and they should read fairly high. After that do a water change and add your first fish. Then you really should wait a month to add anything else.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use products like biospira, or dr tims one and only bottle bacteria to seed the tank with the nitrifying bacteria and speed up the process. Dr. Tims website has great informational videos on the nitrogen cycle.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use products like biospira, or dr tims one and only bottle bacteria to seed the tank with the nitrifying bacteria and speed up the process. Dr. Tims website has great informational videos on the nitrogen cycle.
Okay, I'm basically on Phase 2 (nitrite)... But when I have an established tank, is there any way of minimalizing water changes and keeping my nitrate low. Preferably something that won't be toooo visually ugly.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how many (%) do I do for the water change?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally 10-20% weekly or bi weekly .. I do normally 10% every week

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also shows how to forego the cycle altogether, if your live rock has certain proofs on it we can see plainly.

Back