No Algae and I know I'm not lucky

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g, 29g sump, over 120 lb of live rock in the system, 40 lb live sand, running two or3 LED bars 12 hours a day.

current stocking list
2 clown
zoa, mushroom, condy nem, GSP

I keep waiting for the 'ugly stages' to occur so I can inevitably tinker. I haven't done anything to the tank other than the weekly 10% WC and top off for salinity. Don't plan on dosing or skimming or UV to the tank anywhere in the near future.

Tank has been running with fish since the end of March, fish went in after completed cycle roughly a month, ammonia produced with ghost feeding and dead shrimp, dr tims bacteria added to a bucket of rock and let it sit for 24 hour then put rock in.

I had the tiniest little outbreak of diatoms about a week after fish, probably late April/early May.

The only 'algae' I can really see is a film on the dry rock that is a shade darker than dry rock when it hasn't been wet yet. Might not even be algae but just the dry rock settling in to the environment.

Am I doing something wrong? I assumed that algae growing would be a good indicator of some sort, but the fish are happy and the corals are growing. There has been hair algae on the frags from LFS the corals come on, but that is not spreading.

CUC is 2 conch, a ton of hermit blue leg, many various snails , no mexican turbo

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75g, 29g sump, over 120 lb of live rock in the system, 40 lb live sand, running two or3 LED bars 12 hours a day.

current stocking list
2 clown
zoa, mushroom, condy nem, GSP

I keep waiting for the 'ugly stages' to occur so I can inevitably tinker. I haven't done anything to the tank other than the weekly 10% WC and top off for salinity. Don't plan on dosing or skimming or UV to the tank anywhere in the near future.

Tank has been running with fish since the end of March, fish went in after completed cycle roughly a month, ammonia produced with ghost feeding and dead shrimp, dr tims bacteria added to a bucket of rock and let it sit for 24 hour then put rock in.

I had the tiniest little outbreak of diatoms about a week after fish, probably late April/early May.

The only 'algae' I can really see is a film on the dry rock that is a shade darker than dry rock when it hasn't been wet yet. Might not even be algae but just the dry rock settling in to the environment.

Am I doing something wrong? I assumed that algae growing would be a good indicator of some sort, but the fish are happy and the corals are growing. There has been hair algae on the frags from LFS the corals come on, but that is not spreading.

CUC is 2 conch, a ton of hermit blue leg, many various snails , no mexican turbo
If everything seems happy I wouldn't stress about not seeing excessive algae growth...the fact that the rock was live may have helped some

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are always helpful, but it sounds like you are in good shape.
Your weekly water changes are likely keeping your nitrates and phosphates in check.
With your good clean up crew, they are keeping everything mowed down.

Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates?

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imagination jerking off GIF

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that is hilarious. Here are pics. Check the sweet lighting, new set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also only test for nitrates and they’ve never passed 20 ppm most often remain nearly undetected, api test kit I know I’m bad

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low as in too far or close to the water? Literally just finished changing them from this set up probably 10 minutes ago

Attachments

• 04DF6C5C-8232-4960-9B60-24ACBE7C00E1.jpeg
    04DF6C5C-8232-4960-9B60-24ACBE7C00E1.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 43

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a new tank things are looking good!
Yeah, tank does not come across as too bright so that could be inhibiting algae growth as well. Dont stress too much. Things are looking g good. Just keep taking it slow and make adjustments one at a time and slowly.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just here to add, if you don’t have any/much algae in the tank, make sure you’re feeding/offering some algae wafers/nori or something to your CUC - especially the conches - so they don’t starve. The hermits would need some meat too, so - assuming you’re not feeding your clowns enough for both them and “a ton” of blue leg hermits, some sinking carnivore/omnivore food for the hermits would be good also.

You might already have this taken care of, but I figured I’d put this out there just in case.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doin pellets 3x a day and mysis 1/2 frozen cube thawed out. Thinking it’s time to add a third fish to increase the amount of waste produced, thanks for all of the infos

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back