No diatoms no nitrate spike

oMGreef60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is my 4th week of cycling
Running skimmer from day one except after dosing microbacter7 i turned it off for 3 hours a day for first two weeks

I know that every cycling is different, i use ghost feeding methode
after amonia spike , i get nitrite reading om second week, and two days later i have nitrite spike
I was away for few days, when i test my parameter was amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate was arround 3 -5 ppm (seachem)
I add chaeto at second week because its hard to find one for sale or give, so when its available i just grab it and put it in my sump

This is my 4th week but nitrate always at 3-5ppm
Iam waitting for nitrate spike to happen so i can do water change
Question is
1. Am i cycling slower because i didnt see any diatoms on my main tank ( i use ati t5 and turned it on week 2 running as if there was corals in there) but my sump is getting this diatom bloom
2. Is it okay not to have the nitrate spike? Am i adding the chaeto too soon? Should i do the water change anyway? I want to add my first fish

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is my 4th week of cycling
Running skimmer from day one except after dosing microbacter7 i turned it off for 3 hours a day for first two weeks

I know that every cycling is different, i use ghost feeding methode
after amonia spike , i get nitrite reading om second week, and two days later i have nitrite spike
I was away for few days, when i test my parameter was amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate was arround 3 -5 ppm (seachem)
I add chaeto at second week because its hard to find one for sale or give, so when its available i just grab it and put it in my sump

This is my 4th week but nitrate always at 3-5ppm
Iam waitting for nitrate spike to happen so i can do water change
Question is
1. Am i cycling slower because i didnt see any diatoms on my main tank ( i use ati t5 and turned it on week 2 running as if there was corals in there) but my sump is getting this diatom bloom
2. Is it okay not to have the nitrate spike? Am i adding the chaeto too soon? Should i do the water change anyway? I want to add my first fish
If your nitrates are sitting at three to five parts per million and yourbtesting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, your cycle is complete. you probably didn't get the algae outbreak because you added the Chaeto and that took away most of the nutrients. if you have Chaeto you probably won't get a nitrate Spike because it's consuming the nitrates

OP
OP
oMGreef60

oMGreef60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates are sitting at three to five parts per million and yourbtesting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, your cycle is complete. you probably didn't get the algae outbreak because you added the Chaeto and that took away most of the nutrients. if you have Chaeto you probably won't get a nitrate Spike because it's consuming the nitrates

Hi thank you , so should i do water change and what parameter should i check before i add fish? My first plan was to add corals after pass the ugly algae stage or maybe my lighting didnt enough to make the diatom showed? Because i have diatoms on my sump

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thank you , so should i do water change and what parameter should i check before i add fish? My first plan was to add corals after pass the ugly algae stage or maybe my lighting didnt enough to make the diatom showed? Because i have diatoms on my sump
If your at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 3 to 5 ppm nitrate, you can add your first fish or coral now :) once you add your first fish or Coral try and stick to a regular water change schedule I example do mind every Sunday

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this a dry rock start up ?

And yes, the other stuff you put in pulled down the ammonia and nutrients , the MB7 also likely pulled down the am before it had much of a chance to build.

The ugly phase could be on the way, usually it monts though, but no everyone gets a significant one either.

OP
OP
oMGreef60

oMGreef60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this a dry rock start up ?

And yes, the other stuff you put in pulled down the ammonia and nutrients , the MB7 also likely pulled down the am before it had much of a chance to build.

The ugly phase could be on the way, usually it monts though, but no everyone gets a significant one either.

Yes it is dry rock but i use live sand form caribsea mix with nature’s ocean

Ill try to add fish but coral later just to see how it goes[emoji5]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back