No Filtration, No Sump, no Protein skimmer system?

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a set up close to what your wanting to do. I don't use a skimmer or sump but I do run a standard hob filter with carbon 24/7. All other "filtration" is done by natural means and water changes. I actually am having a difficult time keeping phosphates and nitrates above 0 at the moment. 29g mixed reef.

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211223_163216581.jpg

This system is almost a year old and the only mechanical filtration is water changes. 2800ml or about 3/4 gallon per week done automatically. Nitrates have been undetectable and phosphates are around 0.05 ppm. Dry rock in the display and old cycled sump rock with large yellow sponge and hundreds of tube/fan worms in the sump.

Planned on buying a skimmer since that is what everyone does, but the system consumes more nutrients than I can add for 2 clowns and a possum wrasse.

Had I known this was possible going into it, I would have bought a AIO with a back section large enough for the cycled rock and saved myself quite a bit of money.

This is my first reeftank so YMMV by using this technique.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been thinking about setting up a saltwater tank and setting it up without a sump, or protein skimmer (natural filtration). The tank in question will be a shallow tank, 45-60g with only wavemakers, heaters, rocks, and sand. I'm not sure what else I would need, which is why I'm here. Is there any information I should know? (I haven't bought anything yet) What do I need? Any helpful articles, videos? Thanks in advance:)
One here who runs this system you are thinking about. Mine is a 90 but same premise. I do run a powerhead with floss changed regularly, very important in my particular line of thought. Also run a Hob with nothing but some floss in it to provide enough aeration...just moved from one 90 to a new one this week.
Also my rock is over 25 years old, I gradually dumped , canisters , skimmer etc over the years. The rock is of massive importance IMO. Also run several small wavemakers , powerheads for flow everywhere, a must IMO.

Some pics of before and after the move, a work in progress the new one. Need more rock to grow taller in this new particular tank. Will help fill it up, and hide the filters. As you see by responses quite a few here do this method. Check out my build thread if you want more info or PM me. Welcome to the board!

Old

20211221_202917.jpg

New

20211229_164137.jpg

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, don’t add it!! I run a HOB to break surface tension and keep oils from building up. I do put floss for mechanical filtration in there occasionally. The floss is not needed all the time.

Keeping the fish bioload low does make it easier.
^^^ listen to Aqua Man.... this handle is not acquired by accident. ;)

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely you hit the nail on the head balance is key, small bio load and pack it full of corals, feed lighter and go really slow. In the end I find it works better for me. I don't have the risk of tank crash due to failure of equipment! Less maintenance on equipment. The only risk of equipment I have is heater and wavemaker.
^^^ more fantastic observations!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back