No fish reefs, who's got one - post up some FTS

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered about the longevity (5 to 10yrs) of keeping just corals and its associated husbandry. I found a miniscule amount of threads related to it and even less information on what's needed to maintain one (that doesn't mean I can't guess). I also realize this type of system is not for everyone and that some might call it pointless without fish. I'm not looking to argue the aesthetics of keeping coral without fish, but what intrigues me more is the long-term sustainability. That said, who's running a NO FISH LPS, SPS, etc. system, and please tell me what led you down this path and share your husbandry.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a coral only tank. However mothernature disagrees with that method.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it's very possible, although more difficult maybe.

Fish create fertilizer for corals to grow. Also some of the first fish in reefs are fish with some sort of janitorial job to help with algae, pests, or other need.

Without fish it can be done. Ghost feedings, coral foods, amino acids, and your basic chemistry. I think keeping algae at bay would be the hardest part. Snails only do so good IME and fish are a big help.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without fish it can be done. Ghost feedings, coral foods, amino acids, and your basic chemistry. I think keeping algae at bay would be the hardest part. Snails only do so good IME and fish are a big help.
I think it's a true knife-edge balance of this ^^^.
Too much and start down a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the fastest growing reefs have sea birds dropping dueces in the water combined with water run off.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a true knife-edge balance of this ^^^.
Too much and start down a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.
Not one I want to take lol. Havjng some nice tangs or rabbitfish makes it much easier. I'll also never have a tank without a good Wrasse either, control all kinds of worms. Some problem worms and some only a problem if the numbers go unchecked.

SR Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Yeah I been thinking about fishless system for some time.

Algae maybe controlled by Verbrint, but pests might be hard to control with out fish.

Benefits without fish are, water will be super clear, easy to control NO3 and PO4. Easier to feed coral without fish grabbing coral food. No detritus.

Do we know what's in fish poop ? Is it just different kind of amino and some bacteria?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PghReef

For argument's sake, would it not be feasible to do something like this if you quarantined every piece of coral prior to introducing it to your display tank. Dip's in H2O2, Flatworm exit, etc. to help eliminate unwanted pests and other things?

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Yeah I been thinking about fishless system for some time.

Algae maybe controlled by Verbrint, but pests might be hard to control with out fish.

Benefits without fish are, water will be super clear, easy to control NO3 and PO4. Easier to feed coral without fish grabbing coral food. No detritus.

Do we know what's in fish ? Is it just different kind of amino and some bacteria?
By no means am I saying it would be easy? I think ultimately one would have to weigh the pros and cons to come up with a solid game plan for implement something like this, that's what I'm trying to find out, if someone has already done it, and if they care to share how?:)

Back