No idea

Bluemonk

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2021
Messages
13
Reaction score
29
Location
Collinsville
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted this today as i fed the tank and was just doing my daily "whats new today" look over. And noticed one of my rock flowers had moved.figured maybe he wasnt like the amount of light he was getting but i was concerned because it was overlapping my other nem. Then i koticed this where the moved nem usually sits. Never seen till today. Havent added anything. All the corals are loving life. Not due for weekly water change till Saturday. Anyone got any ideas?
2c06e045-c829-4220-bd84-3ef367057f53.jpg
76505c83-537f-4fc1-8146-9a6268727757.jpg
7c550836-1737-4594-9569-31929e5c66af.jpg
1ad04299-1909-44af-9346-3d6430a77705.jpg
dc80a14f-edac-4d88-9736-4fbf71500e49.jpg
 
looks like a sponge I had once.
IMG_7903.jpeg
 
1790852722018.png

Sponges (e.g. Sycon sp. can look similar, but usually grows isolated not in colonies and shorter, so the genus might not match). They can differ a bit in shape (e.g. Sycon scaldiense is thinner than the one in my thread). If you have access to a microscope we may actually be able to identify it. 🙂

The only other option would be tunicates, but those don't have these little "crowns" (hairs sticking out of the tube opening) afaik.
 
Well i like the idea of it being a sponge, as more filter feeders pop up i know im doing okay in the stability department. But would a sponge grow underneath a flower rock nem and irratate it enough to make it move?
 
Well i like the idea of it being a sponge, as more filter feeders pop up i know im doing okay in the stability department. But would a sponge grow underneath a flower rock nem and irratate it enough to make it move?
I mean, if a toxin producing creature with needle-like bones would be growing under my butt I would most certainly move sooner or later 👀

I think it's possible the sponge is to blame but sometimes anemones just move because they aren't too happy where they are located at the moment.
 
Well i like the idea of it being a sponge, as more filter feeders pop up i know im doing okay in the stability department. But would a sponge grow underneath a flower rock nem and irratate it enough to make it move?
I mean, if a toxin producing creature with needle-like bones would be growing under my butt I would most certainly move sooner or later 👀

I think it's possible the sponge is to blame but sometimes anemones just move because they aren't too happy where they are located at the moment.
I'd move too.

I am actually surprised it hasnt move sooner. Thought it wasnt getting enough light where it was
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new