No to little light tank stocking ideas

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I have a 60g peacock mantis tank (one punch). I call it the dead reef, because well it’s a dead reef lol.

Anyways, I have 4 yellowtail blue damsels in the tank, the mantis and lots of hermit crabs. Added damsels because if the mantis ate one, well that’s a $7 snack. So far the mantis plays nice with the fish because they are too fast.

I tried putting Zoas in the tank, but the mantis started to have shell rot. So lights went off zoas got tossed into another tank. Mantis molted and the day was saved!

Any ideas of cool live stock, that would be happy with room light?

And yes, the mantis and damsels don’t play nice, but hey, that’s why it’s called the dead reef lol.

Thanks!

3EA95D73-C696-42D3-B46E-1B22BA98CA9B.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty and pretty deadly !!!!

ROFL ... Dead Tank for sure - peacock mantis shrimp eat live fish, crabs, worms and shrimp (cannibalize)... and pack the punch of a .22 caliber gun. These are the most beautiful shrimp I've ever seen - you make me want small species tank for them!! Never saw any in person, so you must know the cool special folks!

For sure your idea of cheap damsels or other cheap/disposable fish is how I would go for movement and color in tank, but my heart would break for each killed fish (that is just me - shrimp is just following its nature and likely would like to eat any fish it kills)

My suggestion #1: sun corals - they don't need any light. The sun coral I have was near death by the time I got it, but if you can start off with a healthy one it should be able to eat fast enough OR you may have to feed then put a cover over it so shrimp doesn't steal its food. I feed mine thawed Reef Frenzy using bowl food bath method, but mine has months of rehab ahead. Google sun corals.

Suggestion #2 Scleronephthya aka flower tree coral corals also don't need light - eat phytoplankton. Don't have personal experience with this coral, but its been on my wishlist for a while now. Most LFS carry bottled phyto and Phyto Frenzy is my favorite brand of phyto.

Good luck and happy reefing !!!

Last edited:

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try tube worms and Cerianthus anemones. Neither require light. The possible problem is that they have to be on the sand. Just try keeping them away from his burrow. Higher up, try sun corals or fat head dendros. The worms get fed fine invert food while the corals and nem get brine or mysis.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty and pretty deadly !!!!

ROFL ... Dead Tank for sure - peacock mantis shrimp eat live fish, crabs, worms and shrimp (cannibalize)... and pack the punch of a .22 caliber gun. These are the most beautiful shrimp I've ever seen - you make me want small species tank for them!! Never saw any in person, so you must know the cool special folks!

For sure your idea of cheap damsels or other cheap/disposable fish is how I would go for movement and color in tank, but my heart would break for each killed fish (that is just me - shrimp is just following its nature and likely would like to eat any fish it kills)

My suggestion #1: sun corals - they don't need any light. The sun coral I have was near death by the time I got it, but if you can start off with a healthy one it should be able to eat fast enough OR you may have to feed then put a cover over it so shrimp doesn't steal its food. I feed mine thawed Reef Frenzy using bowl food bath method, but mine has months of rehab ahead. Google sun corals.

Suggestion #2 Scleronephthya aka flower tree coral corals also don't need light - eat phytoplankton. Don't have personal experience with this coral, but its been on my wishlist for a while now. Most LFS carry bottled phyto and Phyto Frenzy is my favorite brand of phyto.

Good luck and happy reefing !!!
AWSOME!! thank you! You have no idea how long I been googling what can live in there!

Yes the mantis is amazing! I definitely don’t regret dedicating an entire tank to such an amazing and personality packed creature.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try tube worms and Cerianthus anemones. Neither require light. The possible problem is that they have to be on the sand. Just try keeping them away from his burrow. Higher up, try sun corals or fat head dendros. The worms get fed fine invert food while the corals and nem get brine or mysis.
Thanks!! I will definitely look into these! Do they NEED target feeding?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. They'll die back without target feedings. However, my above feeding is extreme measure because my particular coral was not fed for so long it was almost totally dead.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. They'll die back without target feedings. However, my above feeding is extreme measure because my particular coral was not fed for so long it was almost totally dead.
Ok awesome, so target feed but, I don’t have to cover it. It’s a deep tank, and the mantis eye balls my hands when I go in there to clean lol. So I am not too sure about covering and feeding.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed the nem and corals. Just put some brine shrimp or mysis in a turkey baster and shoot some a little up current so that the water takes the food to them. The duster can get fine food just broadcast in the general vicinity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back