No3 ,Po4 & chaeto issues OP's Please

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will keeping small amounts chaeto cut back on low nutrients ?
I have 2 tanks . a 75 & a 180 . Both have always been nutrient deficient . So when I dose,the chaeto grows exponentially ! This tells me the chaeto is taking is taking it all up . I think a smaller amount ball of chaeto will take up less . I just have to keep it small. Do you agree?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , I agree.

A fwiw , after a lot of tank observation here , for a tank with low or lowish nutrients, I’d reccomend a turf scrubber of some fashion.
Many that have difficulty with chato and yet have minor algaes and green on the glass seem to do better with the scrubber becuse the chato takes up too much or just dies cuz it doesn’t get enough nutrients.
The gha is kinda more self regulating . It uses less food in general and and will grow thicker and faster IF there is a spike or nutrients rise over time.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a low nutrient tank at the moment (3N .1P) Chaeto will not grow in my fuge. Ulva does grow in my fuge. I have a nice grow light. I do have a good crop of film, some hair and other junk in my DT. The film grows best on my overflow screen. It acts like a turf scrubber. I have a basket of red macro in my overflow with a grow light so the screen gets good light. I hose it off once every 2 weeks. So I would agree with Mr Film Folks .

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! I have bad HA issues in the 75 & I see it coming in the 180 . So I wanted the refugium to out compete the display for starving the HA.
I get Salty's point .Some way that isn't too strong . That's why I want to try less chaeto.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back