No3 po4 x and coppersafe

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 g quarantine tank w coppersafe tx, and my nitrate was at 25 ppm yesterday and today at 50 ppm w Hanna nitrate checker. Can I use no3 po4 x, so I can do water changes less often? Coppersafe instructions say it can be used with other meds but wanted to confirm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a 40 g quarantine tank w coppersafe tx, and my nitrate was at 25 ppm yesterday and today at 50 ppm w Hanna nitrate checker. Can I use no3 po4 x, so I can do water changes less often? Coppersafe instructions say it can be used with other meds but wanted to confirm.
NoPox is an alternative and not often a solution and best are water changes monitored with a reliable test kit. 25 nitrate is acceptable but not much higher. Focus on ammonia not to exceed .025

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with @vetteguy53081 - nitrate levels are not a concern in a fish-only copper treatment tank. They could hit 100 ppm and the fish would be o.k. I would leave that product out.

The risk with amine-based copper products (Cupramine, Coppersafe and Copper Power) is that the copper ion is bonded to an ammonia molecule to make it less toxic to fish. Some compounds can break that bond (especially with Cupramine). That releases free copper which is then toxic to the fish. Since these products all have hidden formulations, it is best not to mix chemicals with them. We know that reducing compounds (formalin and ammonia neutralizers) are an issue.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back