no3 po4 x and filter socks

GaZZaW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Since i started dosing nopox my mesh filter socks (standard red sea reefer) are blocking withing 2 days. Its not a problem but I was wondering why this is. Its like a thin clear film forms on the inside of the socks. any Ideas.

thanks

Gary

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Since i started dosing nopox my mesh filter socks (standard red sea reefer) are blocking withing 2 days. Its not a problem but I was wondering why this is. Its like a thin clear film forms on the inside of the socks. any Ideas.

thanks

Gary
Water column bacteria increase from the carbon dosing I'd say.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is that much bacteria build up that’s a sign to turn down the nopox a bit, IMO. There is balance you need to find between the white slime and high parameters. Neither is ideal.

OP
OP
GaZZaW

GaZZaW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. im only dosing 3ml per day at the moment (in a reefer 425xl) , no3 = 3ppm (red sea kit) po4 = 0.0 (hanna checker) ill go down to 2ml and see what happens.
thanks for the info.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

thanks

Gary

The bacteria that are driven to grow faster due to organic carbon dosing need to grow somewhere. In some cases, they are never seen, and in some cases they end up in visually unpleasing locations.

Your's may have liked to grow on the sock, or in the water column then hit the sock (or both).

In any case, I'm not sure it says anything about the dosing amount being "appropriate" or not, but dosing less will reduce the sock clogging. If that is an importat goal, then that's a way to accomplish it. But cleaning the socks is also a good way to export the bacteria. :). :)

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will eventually level out. I have been carbon dosing for a long time (years). I change my filter socks twice a week but can typically go 6-7 days without them clogging. I always remember to change them once a week since I do a weekly water change. Occasionally I forget the other day of the week and that's when I see it clog. While it sucks to wash them I'm happy with what I pull out via filter sock and protein skimmer. This is significantly improved thanks to carbon dosing.

Just remember to take the socks off if you are away for a week or a few days if you're going to be gone before it levels out.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, this just happened to me too. I guess it's a strong sign that the NO3:pO4-X is having an effect. Can we assume it's a good sign or is the evidence ambiguous?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back