Noise Dampening Pad for Internal Skimmer

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

Like the title states, I am looking for a DIY type pad to dampen the vibration between the underneath of my internal skimmer and the bottom of the sump. It is making a noticeable humming sound that is driving me nuts.

I have used mouse pads in the past (and present for that matter) for external use to dampen vibration, but never had to do anything internally in the sump below waterline.

Right now I installed several rubber disks that I found laying around the house that help a great deal. However I would like to install something more stable and permanent.

Any help and/or input would be greatly appreciated....many thx.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply sells these. They're fairly inexpensive. I've never tried them, though.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my skimmer on plastic eggcrate. The pump has feet that fit down in the squares.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Logzor.....I'll check their site.

I am looking for rubber material not plastic to dampen the noise.

Thx again.....keep the suggestions coming.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thx mfinn......that is a GREAT idea. The ones from BRS are awesome, but at 1" in height I think a bit overkill for internal sump needs.

I think I may get (4) from BRS and prop up my entire sump on all for corners and then use the silicone pads under the actual internal skimmer.

I hate tank noise if you can't tell....lol. I have my 180gl sps almost dead silent with the exception of the (2) MP60's and the internal overflow on my new 60gl Cube build is almost dead silent as well. Have to work on the noise under the stand, so all these suggestions are a big help.

Many thanks and keep them coming so we can all benefit from some nice DIY ideas out there..........

Tat2demon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pads from brs are not meant to be submerged. That's straight from brs. I like the silicone hotpads. You can find the ones with the raised up bumps at walmart for a couple bucks.

Back