Noisy Gyre pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter samaki37
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

samaki37

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2022
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
Brisbane Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few weeks I was being driven nuts by a constant low howling noise from my new Gyre. When I turned it off there was a stream of bubbles from the rotors and on restarting the noise stopped, then gradually came back. I googled it and several people had the same issue. How could air get into the rotors? Well, it couldn't! The answer came to me because the problem disappeared at night. It wasn't air, but methane from irremovable surface algae in the rotors, I immersed the rotors, still attached, one at a time in a tumbler of 50/50 cleaning vinegar just up to the top of the rotor with the Gyre unit standing on edge in a bucket. I left it for a hour each side and the problem was solved. The rotors cleaned up like new without dismantling. I now use this method at each clean and water change. Blissful silence!
 
I'll have to try this next time I clean mine. I usually just disassemble everything and soak in EzeClean - but I never thought about actively running the gyres in the solution to get everything super clean. Thanks for the tip!
 
No, NO, No! The rotors ONLY are immersed statically in the vinegar. No vinegar should touch the mechanism as it will damage it in the long term. The beauty of this method is that you don't have to disassemble anything. Just rinse well before setting it back in the tank and when it runs it will self-clean the blades.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new