Non-aggressive mantis?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me out mantis folks. While feeding my tank tonight I thought I spotted a red mantis dash out and grab some LRS. I got a mantis on some live rock last summer and kept her briefly before rehoming her. This moved with that same, characteristic flowing movement. This tank has some of the same batch of live rock (from TBS, Gulf of Mexico).

The big question in my mind is, if it IS a mantis why haven't I lost any fish or invertebrates? Not even any sexy shrimp?

Is there something else that moves like that? Fast and smooth? Or did I hallucinate it?

And where am I going to set up another tank if it is a mantis and I can catch it?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little red mantis with some TBS . Not sure what happened to it." Could" be another one in your tank. I'd be surprised you haven't seen any of it's eating habits !

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is indeed a mantis there is little chance that you would lose a fish. The species of smashers that inhabit live rock feed mostly on small hermits, snails, and other shelled inverts. It is quite possible that you haven't noticed any losses because this mantis rarely leaves his burrow and is happy with the LRS he is getting, suppressing his predatory instincts. My thought would be that when it gets larger and more acclimated to the tank it would take on some hermits and snails. Try feeding it a piece of shrimp or mussel with tongs

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, @Shabalaba you've given me some things to think about. I'm ok with losing some hermits and snails (as long as it's not my conch) but I know it's pretty standard to have them in a species only tank. I'm worried about my blennies who love to dive into rocks and perch right near the hole where I spotted the mantis. I'd hate to lose them.

Obv more research is needed. Thanks

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, @Shabalaba you've given me some things to think about. I'm ok with losing some hermits and snails (as long as it's not my conch) but I know it's pretty standard to have them in a species only tank. I'm worried about my blennies who love to dive into rocks and perch right near the hole where I spotted the mantis. I'd hate to lose them.

Obv more research is needed. Thanks

Im totally in love with mantis shrimp so please ask me any questions you might have! I currently have a 6 inch peacock mantis in my reef tank, hes never bothered any fish, cleaner shrimp, tiger conchs, emerald crabs, and few others. He HAS taken out a few hermits and snails though. It seems that he actually wants the shell rather than to eat the animal though. I feed him every other day. All others mantis shrimp I have are in species only tanks :p

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine just found one after 6 months in his 400g tank. He started with all dry rock and 4 small medium pieces of live rock.
He managed to get him with Ultralife X-Terminator Mantis shrimp trap | Premium Aquatics in a day.
What kind of tank and setup do you have. If you have a large enough sump maybe you can make him a remote tank. I’m not sure about their tank size requirements but I tried to convince my friend to keep it in his set and setup a mini reef for him. Although he had a 40 gallon section he was going to use.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no good photos but last night she came out at feeding time - she's about 2.5 inches and bright red. Very pretty. I was able to target feed her some clams on a skewer. She dashed into her rock at first but once I got the clam at the mouth of her hole - wham!

I think I'm going to like having her around.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp are very intelligent and if they can get an easy meal they will take that over taking out other inhabitants. I have kept multiple mantis with fish and clams without an issue because they were well fed. This might not be the case in every scenario but it is possible. Now if you happen across a spearing mantis then the fish might not be so safe if they are a properly sized meal.

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as a none aggressive mantis shrimp.

If a mantis shrimp does not feel like it is the king/queen of its aquarium then it will hide a lot.
If a mantis shrimp does feel like it is the king/queen of its aquarium then you'll see it a lot.

However if it is the former then there is normally a risk to the mantis from another tank inhabitant (hence the hiding).
Contrary to that if it is the latter then there is a chance you might lose something in your tank one day if there are other creatures in that tank.

I've been caught of guard a few times but they are stories for other times...

donshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im totally in love with mantis shrimp so please ask me any questions you might have! I currently have a 6 inch peacock mantis in my reef tank, hes never bothered any fish, cleaner shrimp, tiger conchs, emerald crabs, and few others. He HAS taken out a few hermits and snails though. It seems that he actually wants the shell rather than to eat the animal though. I feed him every other day. All others mantis shrimp I have are in species only tanks :p
I have a 2 inch baby peacock mantis shrimp. He seems to hide all the time not aggressive or will that change?????

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old thread but its a case by case.

I've had O. scyllarus live with fish long term as many times as they ate them. Its still adapting or isn't really a peacock (o. scyllarus) and one of the more reclusive species. Its normal for them to take a week or longer before their first meal, my S. rugosa took well over 10 days to eat for the first time.

I have a 2 inch baby peacock mantis shrimp. He seems to hide all the time not aggressive or will that change?????

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back