Non-photosynthetic gorgonian help

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a red Caribbean gorgonian and yellow Caribbean gorgonian in my low light tank for several months. Both have doing very well. Two weeks ago, the yellow stopped opening up. The red is beautiful. I moved the yellow next to the red hoping that the new location would help. No luck. There is no decay or algae on it. No other inhabitants, spiny oyster, sponges, tunicants or sun corals show problems. The tank is fed a variety of food, phyto, rotifers, baby brine shrimp and oyster feast. Anybody have any ideas on how to get it to open again?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a red Caribbean gorgonian and yellow Caribbean gorgonian in my low light tank for several months. Both have doing very well. Two weeks ago, the yellow stopped opening up. The red is beautiful. I moved the yellow next to the red hoping that the new location would help. No luck. There is no decay or algae on it. No other inhabitants, spiny oyster, sponges, tunicants or sun corals show problems. The tank is fed a variety of food, phyto, rotifers, baby brine shrimp and oyster feast. Anybody have any ideas on how to get it to open again?

Can you do us a pic please under normal / white light?

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to "shed" their skin so to speak occasionally. This is how they clean themselves of algae, etc.. Has it done this? I have used a soft toothbrush to do it in the past, very gently. I have seen it help them in opening the polyps. It is a very thin , clearish film. Not the actual colored flesh.

OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red is fully open on the left.
IMG_1179 (1).jpg
Sorry for the dirty glass

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red is fully open on the left.
IMG_1179 (1).jpg
Sorry for the dirty glass

It needs a clean with a soft brush as stated above but I use a pastry brush or makeup brush as they are softer, make sure it is in good flow.

Edit, only brush one way, stem base out towards the tips.

OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red is still gorgeous. I gave the yellow a good cleaning like you suggested. Just yesterday, the first few polyps opened. This evening a few more opened. They were snapping up food also. Again, thanks for the help.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back