Non WiFi dosing pump

hcoop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rural midwesterner we have yet to get reliable WiFi out on these dirt roads(no joke). I have Hughsnet but trying to control a tank on 50gb per month that streams at .5mbps(no joke either) you can only imagine. I had an apex for a while but having the WiFi I do I had to have an entire separate $100 a month plan just to run it. To top it off $100 a month got 100gb a month which is their highest plan which also made my data run out within 2 weeks and therefore 2 weeks of the month I was SOL. That leaves people like me out of the new and shiny equipment upgrades as they’re useless out here. So as the title says what is the best, most reliable non WiFi dosing pump? Bubble Magnus is what I currently have but I wanted to upgrade. Not seeing many upgrade choices for not having WiFi. It sucks seeing all of the new equipment constantly coming out but needing WiFi for it to work properly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No spectrum internet? AT&T would be another option

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into Starlink internet? Up front cost is a lot but if they have service in your area it would probably be well worth the up front cost.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kamoer x1 uses Bluetooth for control, so you could control it with your phone without an internet connection. Although I'm not sure that I'd consider it an upgrade over the Bubble Magus.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
WiFi doesn’t necessarily mean internet (although I accept an internet connection makes life easier). You can connect to certain WiFi devices with just a router.

I have a GHL 2.1 SA doser which I run wirelessly but you can set it up with direct USB PC connection (and then disconnect it and it runs on its own). You only really ‘need’ the internet for firmware updates, which don’t happen very often.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WiFi doesn’t necessarily mean internet (although I accept an internet connection makes life easier)
I understand that wifi is not the same thing as internet connection, but I'm pretty sure that most devices that require a connection through wifi won't allow control through your home network. They will still require you to access their website or web based app to control the device.

Good suggestion on the ghl doser though, I didn't know you could program it through usb. It is definitely an upgrade to bubble magus.

OP
OP
hcoop

hcoop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WiFi doesn’t necessarily mean internet (although I accept an internet connection makes life easier). You can connect to certain WiFi devices with just a router.

I have a GHL 2.1 SA doser which I run wirelessly but you can set it up with direct USB PC connection (and then disconnect it and it runs on its own). You only really ‘need’ the internet for firmware updates, which don’t happen very often.
Would I have to connect the usb to a pc every time I wanted to change the dosing amount? Is it Mac compatible? They recently put a sprint tower at the end of my street which makes it great for getting on the internet but still doesn’t solve my WiFi issue without a hotspot or something similar

OP
OP
hcoop

hcoop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into Starlink internet? Up front cost is a lot but if they have service in your area it would probably be well worth the up front cost.
I did. $600 just to get it installed and then $100 a month

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would I have to connect the usb to a pc every time I wanted to change the dosing amount? Is it Mac compatible? They recently put a sprint tower at the end of my street which makes it great for getting on the internet but still doesn’t solve my WiFi issue without a hotspot or something similar

Yes, you would have to have it hooked up to USB to make changes.

You may be able to change the settings wirelessly without the internet as I'm pretty sure the GHL software doesn't have to use the cloud (although one is available). In both the USB and wireless case you would have to download the software; I'm afraid that I don't know if they have a Mac version.

GHL has a section on R2R so you could ask them there or send a support message and I'm sure they'll be able to assist.

OP
OP
hcoop

hcoop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you would have to have it hooked up to USB to make changes.

You may be able to change the settings wirelessly without the internet as I'm pretty sure the GHL software doesn't have to use the cloud (although one is available). In both the USB and wireless case you would have to download the software; I'm afraid that I don't know if they have a Mac version.

GHL has a section on R2R so you could ask them there or send a support message and I'm sure they'll be able to assist.
Will do, thank you for the help

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back