Noob Question/Advice

SE7ƎN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am brand new to this, and would appreciate any advice you can offer...

I added 2x 4-5 month old Clown-Fish less than 48 hours ago. They are tiny (less than 1 inch). They came from a Clownfish Farm where there was not much flow. I acclimated them using a “modified“ drip method (Syringe adding a drop a second and then slowly increasing over a 90 min period). One thing I noticed right away was that the water flow in the tank was way way too much for them. I removed the wavemaker, but still seemed too much for them, even with ONLY the Return Pump (520 L/hour or 137 gal/hour). I removed the Duck-Bill Valve to reduce the centralized water pressure from the Return Pump Nozzle, and it helped out a lot, but it still seems a bit too much though and they need to work light to moderate to keep from getting tossed around.

In the last few hours, I decided to turn off the Return Pump, and stick an Air Stone with an Pump inside the tank at the top for Oxygen. They seem to be doing much better, but obviously, this can’t be a long term solution as there is no water flow/filtering. Is this OK? They seem much better as they are exploring and venturing around the tank now, but I have no idea what is normal and what isn’t. They also seem to be opening/closing their mouths quickly, but I’m guessing for a little toddler, this might be normal as opposed to a grown adult. They ate very well last night (24 hours after introducing them in), and a little this morning (36 hours after). One likes to explore and seems to be adjusting much better than the other. The other one just stays in one place never moving, but appearing to be swimming hard (even though it’s not the case because the other is right next to him and swims calmly). Is he super stressed?

Question/Advice
1) Is turning off the pump and sticking an Air-Stone inside a good idea until they get used to their new environment?
2) How long can I do this for, or should do this for? I plan on keeping it off for 5 hours or so, and then turning on the Pump for another 5 and cycling like this for a while until they get used to the tank and a bit stronger.
3) How long does it take for Clown Fish to acclimate to their new environment (no stress)?
4) The Hermit Crabs are tiny and afraid of the fish. Before the fish came, they thought they owned the place and were hilarious to watch. So much personality. The tiny snail is always hiding except when the food comes. The Fire-Shrimp, is the biggest thing in this tank measuring almost 2 inches (body only). He is not afraid of anything and even comes to me when I stick my hand in the tank to clean or adjust things. He sometimes tries to go after the 2x Clown-Fish (Curiosity/Main Course/????), but they just swim away when he gets close. I don’t think he is aggressive, but he’s so much bigger than everything else in the tank that he might think they are food? Should I be concerned?
5) Micro-Hermit Crabs all pretty much stay hidden and barely move since the 2x Clown-Fish came. Is this normal and expected, or are they stressed too? This is complete contrast to how they were before, strutting around the tank and fighting for shells.
6) Any other advice or suggestions to help these little guy’s get acclimated and happy quicker?

Edit Added: I also added Seachem Prime to help with the increased bio-load of the addition of the 2x Clown Fish as an extra safety measure. The NO2 raised and NO3 raised yesterday (12 hours after adding them), so I did a 23% Water Change and added the Seachem Prime to bond with the increased Nitirites until everything stabilizes again. My tank is still new and maybe not fully established, but I monitored the Nitrogen Cycle and saw the NH3/4 and NO2 spike up then go back down to 0 again before introducing everyone. Before adding the fish, I did a 14% Water-Change and scrubbed everything, which in retrospect, I probably messed with the bacteria, which probably caused the return spike in NO2 and NO3.

Thanks again.

Stats: 63L (16.6 gal) Nano, 1 month old cycled FOWLR, 0 NH3/4, 0 NO2, 12.5 NO3, PH 8.15, and Salinity 34/1.025.
Children: 7x Micro Hermit-Crabs and 1x Micro Nasarius Snail (Ocean caught), 1x Fire-Shrimp, and 2x 4-5 mo old Clown-Fish.

C2293844-B276-4AD1-9B30-B3C7D15E8E7B.jpeg

Last edited:

F4TALREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the return pump on. I had small clowns in a biocube 14 with maxijet 900 and a 400 gph wavemaker. Take your wavemaker offline for a day if your concerned, but leave return on.
Your inverts may be hiding due to the new addition is give them a day or two but I'd not really be concerned. I've had snails and crab sit in one spot for days at a time for no reason to the point where I moved a snail and waited to see if it would love on it's own before removing from the tank. Low and behold the next day it was somewhere else.
Adding two small clowns should not have cause spike in nutrients like that in my opinion. Possible yes, not likely unless that tank wasn't out of the cycle.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are pretty strong swimmers that is kind of normal behavior; at least for mine. If you have a nano I'd suggest you leave you pump on, they will adapt or find a lower flow spot. 130ish GPH flow in a 16G tank isn't redonk.

OP
OP
SE7ƎN

SE7ƎN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Pump is back on and Air Stone is in the back again. The 2x Clown-Fish are back in their original spot and not exploring, but I guess they need to get used to this new life. Thanks again for the advice.

F4TALREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Pump is back on and Air Stone is in the back again. The 2x Clown-Fish are back in their original spot and not exploring, but I guess they need to get used to this new life. Thanks again for the advice.

I'd avoid air stones in saltwater. It just leads to salt creep all over.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are getting good advice. Therefore Welcome to R2R!

Free advice: The most expensive part of this hobby is impatience. Figure out what you want, save up for it and only buy it once. Enjoy the hobby!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2x Clown-Fish are back in their original spot and not exploring, but I guess they need to get used to this new life. Thanks again for the advice.

Clowns don't always explore. I have two tanks with two sets of clowns, both stay in basically one spot all day. In my 30 gallon the clowns are really the only free swimming fish. I have a goby in the sand and a clown goby who bounces around the rocks but the clowns have the run of the tank, they still just stay in one spot, hovering over the Zoa garden. Only when I feed do they venture out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back