Goniopora question/Zoanthid question

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently upgraded my tank from a 5g to a 12g and moved my two zoanthids to it and expected them to stay closed while they adjust. Decided to liven up the tank and add some new coral so got a torch and two Goniopora frags and just over the weekend noticed one was rapidly losing polyps and had brown tissue flaring up on it. Would use turkey baster to suck it up but would come back after a couple hours so decided to start doing iodine dips since I did some reading and some said to iodine dip goons when this issue happens and maybe I’m just impatient but the one frag is almost gone and my other is starting to get this brain substance on it. For my zoanthids I also noticed that they’re starting to get covered in this red algae that also seems to be going around the tank. Any ideas on what to do for both of these corals? Kind of lost and would not like to lose these as I like them.
Tried getting some good pictures but not too good at this

Parameter are:
Calcium 440ppm
kH 10dKH
NO3 40ppm
NO2 2ppm
PH 8.0ppm
Ammonia 2ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Salinity is at 1.032 for some reason so going to do a water change to reduce that

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks look really new, ammonia at 2ppm is not good and phosphate at 0ppm is not good. Has the tank cycled? I would do a water change to get the ammonia down below.25ppm. I would get some age on the tank, get algae growing and then add a clean up crew. Zoa’s are tough, but I don’t know that they can survive in the ammonia. Goni’s are a lot more difficult, need some phosphate and a lot more living in the tank. Take your time putting stuff in and read the great information in the forums. Good luck!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters are off, and the tank doesn't look ready for livestock, would suggest to slow down and let the tank mature a bit.

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks look really new, ammonia at 2ppm is not good and phosphate at 0ppm is not good. Has the tank cycled? I would do a water change to get the ammonia down below.25ppm. I would get some age on the tank, get algae growing and then add a clean up crew. Zoa’s are tough, but I don’t know that they can survive in the ammonia. Goni’s are a lot more difficult, need some phosphate and a lot more living in the tank. Take your time putting stuff in and read the great information in the forums. Good luck!
Not in the picture but I have live rock from my old tank which was cycled and have media from the old tank as well which prior to moving had good parameters. Did a water change last night so will do some tests once I get off work but I at least got salinity down to 1.027

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering if I shocked the Zoas moving them as they looked pretty healthy and doing fine in the old tank and only started growing algae after the move

Last edited:

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sudden changes in parameters could definitely shock the Zoa’s. Bringing the salinity down should be gradual with corals. Even with the cycled rock and media, you are testing ammonia at 2ppm. The tank is not processing the ammonia and shows that the tank is not cycled. What are you using to test?

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sudden changes in parameters could definitely shock the Zoa’s. Bringing the salinity down should be gradual with corals. Even with the cycled rock and media, you are testing ammonia at 2ppm. The tank is not processing the ammonia and shows that the tank is not cycled. What are you using to test?
Using API kits to test as they were the only available ones to buy at the time when I started my original tank.

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got some good news and some bad news. Went home during lunch to check the tank. Both gonis and torch dead and only showing skeleton. Zoas on the other hand didn’t look dead so was able to have someone come to pick them up and take care of them for the time being until my tank cycles and those zoas get better(hopefully). I feel pretty bad now but I’m not going to let this deter me from the hobby so I’m going to let the tank cycle for a month and check again

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome for the Zoas, sorry about the other losses! Don’t let it get you down too much, we have all been there! When you start to stock the tank, get the clean up crew and if you are going with fish, get them in there too. The corals need more stability and the added life will give them more food. Remember that we have been there and learned lessons about slowing down.

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome for the Zoas, sorry about the other losses! Don’t let it get you down too much, we have all been there! When you start to stock the tank, get the clean up crew and if you are going with fish, get them in there too. The corals need more stability and the added life will give them more food. Remember that we have been there and learned lessons about slowing down.
So basically go fish and CuC first then Coral? Read other places go CuC -> Coral -> fish

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on if you want fish and the order you want. The fish waste will feed the corals though.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with fish, then CUC. After your tank has had some time to cycle and mature add some of the easier corals and see how they do. You'll need those parameters pretty stable and within range to have success with most LPS and definitely SPS. Even the softies will struggle if you don't maintain stability.

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with fish, then CUC. After your tank has had some time to cycle and mature add some of the easier corals and see how they do. You'll need those parameters pretty stable and within range to have success with most LPS and definitely SPS. Even the softies will struggle if you don't maintain stability.
Hm alright will look into getting some fish after it cycles. CuC is still alive and currently have a skunk cleaner shrimp. Was wanting to get a watchmen goby and pistol shrimp pair but heard the pistol shrimp will kill the cleaner so not sure I want one now lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back