Certain coral tissue slowly receding

Eternal_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 29 gallons and has been up and running for about 10 months. Since I have started the tank I have noticed that certain corals in my tank seem to do better than others.

So far over the past 7 months I have lost 2 Favia, 2 chalices, 1 micromussa, 1 nepthea, 4 zoanthids, 2 ricordea, and 2 discosoma. I am about to lose 2 chalices and 2 candy canes.
The corals that seem to do well in the tank are blastomussa, gorgonians (both Photosynthetic and NPS), leathers, Goniopora, Blue ridge, and leptoseris.

Recently I set up a new fluval evo 13.5 and moved some of the zoanthids that were not doing great in my tank. I have had the zoas in my tank for the past 6 months and they have not grown and have been slowly losing polyps. This is making me think that maybe it was something in the water that is messing with the coral? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tank parameters:
Temperature: 78.2F
Salinity 1.025
pH: 7.6
Alk: 9
Calcium: 450ppm
Nitrate: 2ppm
Phosphate 0.4ppm

Lighting Schedule (AI Hydra 26)
1713322616937.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is 29 gallons and has been up and running for about 10 months. Since I have started the tank I have noticed that certain corals in my tank seem to do better than others.

So far over the past 7 months I have lost 2 Favia, 2 chalices, 1 micromussa, 1 nepthea, 4 zoanthids, 2 ricordea, and 2 discosoma. I am about to lose 2 chalices and 2 candy canes.
The corals that seem to do well in the tank are blastomussa, gorgonians (both Photosynthetic and NPS), leathers, Goniopora, Blue ridge, and leptoseris.

Recently I set up a new fluval evo 13.5 and moved some of the zoanthids that were not doing great in my tank. I have had the zoas in my tank for the past 6 months and they have not grown and have been slowly losing polyps. This is making me think that maybe it was something in the water that is messing with the coral? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tank parameters:
Temperature: 78.2F
Salinity 1.025
pH: 7.6
Alk: 9
Calcium: 450ppm
Nitrate: 2ppm
Phosphate 0.4ppm

Lighting Schedule (AI Hydra 26)
1713322616937.jpeg
Probably something in the water is correct and the nepthia does release low level toxins known as terpenes also associated with other leathers.
For zoas, they dont need a lot of light and moderate flow is sufficient. Assure salinity and Phos has not become elevated.

OP
OP
E

Eternal_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably something in the water is correct and the nepthia does release low level toxins known as terpenes also associated with other leathers.
For zoas, they dont need a lot of light and moderate flow is sufficient. Assure salinity and Phos has not become elevated.
I do run carbon in the tank to try and help with leather toxins and my phosphates are pretty high because of the amount of food I am feeding in the tank for the NPS coral. The tank is full of macro algae but I am still struggling with high phosphates. Is there anything that I can do to lower the phosphates but not bottom them out?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do run carbon in the tank to try and help with leather toxins and my phosphates are pretty high because of the amount of food I am feeding in the tank for the NPS coral. The tank is full of macro algae but I am still struggling with high phosphates. Is there anything that I can do to lower the phosphates but not bottom them out?
Reduce feedings
Add a pouch of chemiPure Elite which contains GFO to help reduce phos and has high grade carbon
Utilize a protein skimmer
Do daily water changes of at least 2 gallons for 14 days and recheck

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back