Nopox dosing and NeoNitro

rea1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I am sorry if this has been covered already and I missed it.

I have a newer aquarium somewhere in the 3 - 4 month timeframe, 230 gallons, UV sterilizer, algea scrubber. I did not have the ugly phase at all. In fact I have not had any algea period. Not even in the algea scrubber...no were. I have been using Nopox from early on dosing the correct amount for my tank size. I have recently added corals (last month) and have been testing phosphates and nitrates because I know corals need some nitrates. My nitrates have been 0 and my phosphates are in the acceptable range. I think it was 16 on the hanna phosphorus ULR. I have ordered additional test kits for my nitrates and will test them soon to verify my Red Sea and API kits are right. I tried to dose NeoNitro to raise my nitrates a bit for the corals. I followed the instructions for the correct dosage amount, but the next day when I tested nitrates i was still at zero. The label says I may have a carbon locked tank, and that i need to use other Brightwell products to free it up (biofuel i think). I am reluctant to use any more chemicals since everything else seems good.

My question is am I ok to basically dose NeoNitro daily to help the corals? I assume the nopox is removing the nitrates very quickly, but I also assume the corals are getting the nitrates while it is still in the water before the nopox has a chance to eliminate it.

Sorry, I know this might be a dumb question, but I am at a bit of a loss!

Luis's Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had this issue with NOPOX before as well. I lost coral due to having the tank too clean. What made you start dosing NOPOX? I would stop dosing and test every other day or so to see where your levels of nitrate and phos are. This should give you an idea on what's needed if you do plan on dosing nopox. I think the nopox is removing all of the nitrates.

OP
OP
rea1975

rea1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I am sorry if this has been covered already and I missed it.

I have a newer aquarium somewhere in the 3 - 4 month timeframe, 230 gallons, UV sterilizer, algea scrubber. I did not have the ugly phase at all. In fact I have not had any algea period. Not even in the algea scrubber...no were. I have been using Nopox from early on dosing the correct amount for my tank size. I have recently added corals (last month) and have been testing phosphates and nitrates because I know corals need some nitrates. My nitrates have been 0 and my phosphates are in the acceptable range. I think it was 16 on the hanna phosphorus ULR. I have ordered additional test kits for my nitrates and will test them soon to verify my Red Sea and API kits are right. I tried to dose NeoNitro to raise my nitrates a bit for the corals. I followed the instructions for the correct dosage amount, but the next day when I tested nitrates i was still at zero. The label says I may have a carbon locked tank, and that i need to use other Brightwell products to free it up (biofuel i think). I am reluctant to use any more chemicals since everything else seems good.

My question is am I ok to basically dose NeoNitro daily to help the corals? I assume the nopox is removing the nitrates very quickly, but I also assume the corals are getting the nitrates while it is still in the water before the nopox has a chance to eliminate it.

Sorry, I know this might be a dumb question, but I am at a bit of a loss!
I agree I think that is what I will do. I just hate to mess with whats working because my tank looks great. Zero algea period. Not even on the glass. I am afraid I stop using it and it explodes and i get the ugly phase. Still, I think that is what I will end up doing.

So you think just dosing NeoNitro daily and the corals get what they can get before it is consumed by the nopox isn't the best idea?

OP
OP
rea1975

rea1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this issue with NOPOX before as well. I lost coral due to having the tank too clean. What made you start dosing NOPOX? I would stop dosing and test every other day or so to see where your levels of nitrate and phos are. This should give you an idea on what's needed if you do plan on dosing nopox. I think the nopox is removing all of the nitrates.
I am sorry I didn't answer your question. I started dosing because i was following Red Sea mixed reef recipe and it calls for it. I read good stuff about it, and if it helped me not get the ugly phase i am pretty happy with it too.

Luis's Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You could dose neo nitro to help out. I don't know if dosing neo nitro with nopox would be the answer tho. The nopox would probably out compete the neonitro. I would stop dosing the nopox and start testing to make sure you don't have an insane spike in nutrients. I would see where your tank is naturally first. Once you have that information then you can decide if nopox works for you. I would be pleased with avoiding the ugly stage too but it's a part of the process. At the end of the day you want a thriving reef tank. Irs worth a shot to see where your tank is naturally without the chemicals.

OP
OP
rea1975

rea1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could dose neo nitro to help out. I don't know if dosing neo nitro with nopox would be the answer tho. The nopox would probably out compete the neonitro. I would stop dosing the nopox and start testing to make sure you don't have an insane spike in nutrients. I would see where your tank is naturally first. Once you have that information then you can decide if nopox works for you. I would be pleased with avoiding the ugly stage too but it's a part of the process. At the end of the day you want a thriving reef tank. Irs worth a shot to see where your tank is naturally without the chemicals.
Thanks for the info. I did dose NeoNitro. I will back down the nopox i think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back