NOPOX - Nitrates O / Phosphates .5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having no luck reducing Phosphates with NOPOX. I have read mixed recommendations and not sure where to go from here. I'm starting to get a hair algae bloom and need to get it under control before it takes off.

Started dosing NOPOX .4ml 4-weeks ago and increased to .5ml two weeks ago. I had a sizable amount of Cyano. My nitrates were detectable and Phosphates .25. My nitrates dropped to zero after a week of dosing and the cyano died off. Now 3-weeks later my phosphates have climbed to .5 and I can't get them lower while Nitrates stay at zero.

1) Should I reduce or stop NOPOX to get Nitrates detectable and balance with Phosphates? Then slowly increase dosage?
2) Should I stop carbon dosing (NOPOX) and run GFO to chemically reduce Phosphates and then go back to NOPOX at a later date?
3) Any combo of the above?
4) Something entirely different?

Tank: 13.5g Fluval
Skimmer: Fluval SEO mini
Volume: 10g
Temp: 80
Salinity: 35ppm
pH: 8.2
Alk: 10 dKH
Calc: 420
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: .5
Dosing: NOPOX dose .5ml daily. Reef Energy dose .4ml of A & B daily. Bionic for Alk/Calc.
Filtration: GAC changed monthly. Filter pad changed every two days. 20% water change weekly
Livestock: Mixed Reef, majority LPS. Clown pair. Goby/Pistol shrimp. Feed daily frozen.

clem1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran gfo after the same results with nopox now I'm balanced at zero. Make sure you test the ro water prior to use for phosphates and after mixing. I had some detectable in my ro water.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reduce the NoPox right down to a nominal dose and start feeding more to get your nitrates back up a little.

Maybe also run GFO if you can to reduce phosphate levels or increase water changes until things balance out

I was in the same position for ages and eventually had to use Rhowaphos in addition to NoPox as phosphates crept up to 0.16ppm and I had hair algea outbreak etc. I currently run NoPox, Rhowaphos in a reactor, and a Purigen bag with no issues and nutrients are now fully under control.

NoPox works well with Nitrate reduction but not so well on phosphate and that’s exactly what I’ve experienced.

Shine5555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having no luck reducing Phosphates with NOPOX. I have read mixed recommendations and not sure where to go from here. I'm starting to get a hair algae bloom and need to get it under control before it takes off.

Started dosing NOPOX .4ml 4-weeks ago and increased to .5ml two weeks ago. I had a sizable amount of Cyano. My nitrates were detectable and Phosphates .25. My nitrates dropped to zero after a week of dosing and the cyano died off. Now 3-weeks later my phosphates have climbed to .5 and I can't get them lower while Nitrates stay at zero.

1) Should I reduce or stop NOPOX to get Nitrates detectable and balance with Phosphates? Then slowly increase dosage?
2) Should I stop carbon dosing (NOPOX) and run GFO to chemically reduce Phosphates and then go back to NOPOX at a later date?
3) Any combo of the above?
4) Something entirely different?

Tank: 13.5g Fluval
Skimmer: Fluval SEO mini
Volume: 10g
Temp: 80
Salinity: 35ppm
pH: 8.2
Alk: 10 dKH
Calc: 420
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: .5
Dosing: NOPOX dose .5ml daily. Reef Energy dose .4ml of A & B daily. Bionic for Alk/Calc.
Filtration: GAC changed monthly. Filter pad changed every two days. 20% water change weekly
Livestock: Mixed Reef, majority LPS. Clown pair. Goby/Pistol shrimp. Feed daily frozen.

Just wondering, do you run a Protein Skimmer? for the small tank?

iamsamuel93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I had the same issue and posted the same question on this forum before. Got some answers and watched youtube videos again and again. Let me share what I've discovered. I was using seachem prime instead of rodi unit. So I got a di unit ( still able to get 0 tds). Did 10% water changes x3 spread throughout a week. I threw in a bag of seachem phosguard after the water change. After that I threw in a bag of gfo too. (I wasn't using any gfo, only np pro and pro bio S by Aquaforest). I hope this helps! I got 4ppb phosphorous after that!

The reason why phosphates will be higher is because carbon dosing removes nitrates:phosphates at a ratio 16:1.(got that info from my local Lfs) which is true after some research

OP
OP
O

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back I see where my problems began. But, with such a mixed bag of information out there I was just confused on what to do next.

I was running GFO and had some elevated Phosphates but nothing drastic, but nitrates where a bit high. I got a Cyano outbreak and researched Carbon Dosing and my LFS had NOPOX. After researching it I thought I would give it a try. I reduced my GFO over time per NOPOX directions (a week, so maybe too fast) and about this same time the Cyano began to die off. The combo of pulling the GFO and Cyano die off spiked my Phosphates. But, by this time the NOPOX was kicking in and my Nitrates were zero. I continued to increase NOPOX with no results (it did nothing and I know why now that I have done more research). But, I have a plan now based off the responses here and other sources. Below is what I'll be doing....

1) Started GFO
2) Reduce NOPOX dose to minimum recommendation
3) Test until Phosphates drop to desired level
4) Attempt to increase Nitrates to detectable level (Feeding and Reef Energy dosing)
5) Begin reducing GFO and continue dosing NOPOX
6) Look to reduce Nitrate and Phosphate with dosing only
7) If Phosphates aren't controled with dosing, just continue to run GFO for Phosphate control and NOPOX for Nitrate control and call it a day
8) Continue to blow cash on corals
9) Drink beer and watch tank
10) Just needed a bullet to make it an even ten

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back I see where my problems began. But, with such a mixed bag of information out there I was just confused on what to do next.

I was running GFO and had some elevated Phosphates but nothing drastic, but nitrates where a bit high. I got a Cyano outbreak and researched Carbon Dosing and my LFS had NOPOX. After researching it I thought I would give it a try. I reduced my GFO over time per NOPOX directions (a week, so maybe too fast) and about this same time the Cyano began to die off. The combo of pulling the GFO and Cyano die off spiked my Phosphates. But, by this time the NOPOX was kicking in and my Nitrates were zero. I continued to increase NOPOX with no results (it did nothing and I know why now that I have done more research). But, I have a plan now based off the responses here and other sources. Below is what I'll be doing....

1) Started GFO
2) Reduce NOPOX dose to minimum recommendation
3) Test until Phosphates drop to desired level
4) Attempt to increase Nitrates to detectable level (Feeding and Reef Energy dosing)
5) Begin reducing GFO and continue dosing NOPOX
6) Look to reduce Nitrate and Phosphate with dosing only
7) If Phosphates aren't controled with dosing, just continue to run GFO for Phosphate control and NOPOX for Nitrate control and call it a day
8) Continue to blow cash on corals
9) Drink beer and watch tank
10) Just needed a bullet to make it an even ten
That sounds like a very good plan especially the drink beer and watch tank! Lol

I run Rhowaphos in a reactor constantly and when it starts to become depleted after around 3 weeks, despite dosing 12-14ml of NoPox daily, the phosphate level starts to rise which basically means the NoPox can’t keep it down on its own. My tank is a little overstocked probably, but if the additional GFO keeps everything in check that’s fine with me.

Hopefully in your size tank, once you get phosphate down to 0-0.03ppm and nitrates up a bit, NoPox may control it on its own but you can experiment and worst case, just use GFO as well.

The reef energy shouldn’t have much affect on the nutrient levels but feeding will probably make your corals much happier as zero nitrates means not much food for them. Personally I’ve found my tank looks healthier with Nitrate at around 10ppm, and if you read the articles Tanks Of The Masters on R2R, you may be surprised at the levels those guys run at compared with ‘the normal’ recommend levels.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
98% sure you can just stop nopox entirely.
It's in the system and will be for some time.
Salty,
Wishing you and your love ones a happy Thanksgiving :)

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To touch up on this topic i think i am having the exact same issue...My nitrates are reading close to or around zero (or under 2) and Phosphates at 0.012..I use Nopox and thats how i got my nitrates down from 50-100 to where i am at now...corals are colored up nicely however i have a cyano bacteria growing in some patches on my rocks...not like its flowing around like you would usually see but still too dark to be considered as purple algae...i am currently dosing 1ml nopox every day (i use to dose 4ml every day before) in the hopes of raising my nitrates just a little which should eventually take care of cyano...nopox is carbon and if nitrates are down nopox is being consumed by cyano bacteria which i think is the result i am getting cyano outbreak...you guys think i am on the right path by reducing the nopox dose (rather than completely stopping it) and increasing the feeding...

OP
OP
O

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To touch up on this topic i think i am having the exact same issue...My nitrates are reading close to or around zero (or under 2) and Phosphates at 0.012..I use Nopox and thats how i got my nitrates down from 50-100 to where i am at now...corals are colored up nicely however i have a cyano bacteria growing in some patches on my rocks...not like its flowing around like you would usually see but still too dark to be considered as purple algae...i am currently dosing 1ml nopox every day (i use to dose 4ml every day before) in the hopes of raising my nitrates just a little which should eventually take care of cyano...nopox is carbon and if nitrates are down nopox is being consumed by cyano bacteria which i think is the result i am getting cyano outbreak...you guys think i am on the right path by reducing the nopox dose (rather than completely stopping it) and increasing the feeding...

I can't find the thread again, but a Red Sea rep was commenting that to get Phosphates down you need to raise your Nitrates up. Then begin increasing the dosage to reduce together. I don't know the science, but he had it in there. My only problem is I tried this and in a nano I'm dosing fractions of a ml. So, it wasn't working. Like my plan above I've started GFO. So, in essence NOPOX is controlling my nitrates and GFO is controlling my Phosphates. I know it's not ideal, but it's working currently.

But, to answer your question... yes, you are on the right path based on Red Sea's advice. Good luck and report back.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back