NOPOX Safe Dosing Tubing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have been using NOPOX for a month and I am happy with the results. Now I think I am tuned in with the dosage, I want to automate the daily dose with a Neptune DOS. But I have read that NOPOX reacts with acrylic and some other plastics. So I am wondering what tubings are safe for NOPOX dosing.

Thank you.

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have been using NOPOX for a month and I am happy with the results. Now I think I am tuned in with the dosage, I want to automate the daily dose with a Neptune DOS. But I have read that NOPOX reacts with acrylic and some other plastics. So I am wondering what tubings are safe for NOPOX dosing.

Thank you.

Neptune says in there videos not to use there containers as they are acrylic. So i bought glass ones from BRS and they pointed out that the tubing is an issue with NoPox in the long term and the tubing will break down. Yet they sell it in plastic bottles...go figure. Anyway i have been using plastic airline hose, but only for a fee months. Long term i am looking to get rid of NoPox all together. Hope this is helpful.

OP
OP
roberthu526

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune says in there videos not to use there containers as they are acrylic. So i bought glass ones from BRS and they pointed out that the tubing is an issue with NoPox in the long term and the tubing will break down. Yet they sell it in plastic bottles...go figure. Anyway i have been using plastic airline hose, but only for a fee months. Long term i am looking to get rid of NoPox all together. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for sharing. I am going to stick with NOPOX for now because I tried biopellets and it stripped my tank with nutrients. The only drawback on NOPOX now is the daily manual dosing part. Really hope I can automate it.

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing. I am going to stick with NOPOX for now because I tried biopellets and it stripped my tank with nutrients. The only drawback on NOPOX now is the daily manual dosing part. Really hope I can automate it.

I am having the same problem with NoPox. Looking at potentially getting an Algea Reactor to replace daily use of NoPox and GFO. But now i am using a doser with Airline Tubing for nopox.

michaelstevenbrice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled the cap (add a tiny breather hole) and put used silicone tubing - no problems - and I use the bottle as the container. Side note - HDPE containers would be safe. That is any plastic container with #2 recycling on it.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you.
You just need to use any silicone based tubing for the dosing.

As far as the NoPox container is concerned you can just use the one is comes in. Drill 2 holes in the top, insert the silicone tubing into one hole and then an inverted non return air valve into the other to prevent evaporation of the NoPox out of the container from the breath hole If you leave a breather hole open then you will get evaporation although to what extent I don't know as I've always used the air valve.

I use the 5 litre NoPox and when it's empty you just unscrew the lid and put it onto the new bottle but you can do it with the smaller bottles as well.

OP
OP
roberthu526

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled the cap (add a tiny breather hole) and put used silicone tubing - no problems - and I use the bottle as the container. Side note - HDPE containers would be safe. That is any plastic container with #2 recycling on it.

Thank you! I am going to give it try!

OP
OP
roberthu526

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to use any silicone based tubing for the dosing.

As far as the NoPox container is concerned you can just use the one is comes in. Drill 2 holes in the top, insert the silicone tubing into one hole and then an inverted non return air valve into the other to prevent evaporation of the NoPox out of the container from the breath hole If you leave a breather hole open then you will get evaporation although to what extent I don't know as I've always used the air valve.

I use the 5 litre NoPox and when it's empty you just unscrew the lid and put it onto the new bottle but you can do it with the smaller bottles as well.

Thanks! I was a little worried about the evaporation too. But I am gonna give it a shot.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. I think I get it now. You insert a little air line in the breather hole with the air check valve on the end with the air input in the direction of “in” the bottle?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - You want to allow air in, but not out.

A simple short length of tubing will preclude evaporation at any reasonable rate. No need for a check valve. :)

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I’ve been using NOPOX in a acrylic container for several months what the affect on it as I don’t see any degradation on the acrylic at all every week I stir up the NOPOX

MD11drvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I’ve been using NOPOX in a acrylic container for several months what the affect on it as I don’t see any degradation on the acrylic at all every week I stir up the NOPOX

I too am curious as to using acrylic dosing containers with NOPOX. I modified a bottle as many have recommended (drilling the two holes, one-way check valve, etc.) but my GHL pump is having difficulty sucking a steady stream and the NOPOX all leaks back down into the bottle essentially not dosing anything but air!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am curious as to using acrylic dosing containers with NOPOX. I modified a bottle as many have recommended (drilling the two holes, one-way check valve, etc.) but my GHL pump is having difficulty sucking a steady stream and the NOPOX all leaks back down into the bottle essentially not dosing anything but air!
I am using these and haven’t found any detriment to anything .
https://www.amazon.com/DaysFive-Liq...=1517011138&sr=8-16&keywords=dosing+container

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these they’re the same plastic as the nopox bottle and use simple airline tubing
F46449CF-9540-4764-A163-081E01E6EB70.jpeg
34DD62FE-EA4D-4E07-9FFF-A7D4D20054E8.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back