Nopox Tip!?

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing nopox after using brightwell microbacter 7 I had instant nitrate reduction when it was expected to work in a week or two. just a tip if your looking to reduce nitrate quickly, be careful though sent my nitrates to near zero

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing nopox after using brightwell microbacter 7 I had instant nitrate reduction when it was expected to work in a week or two. just a tip if your looking to reduce nitrate quickly, be careful though sent my nitrates to near zero

Dino,
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!!

Thanks so much for the tip... ;Writing

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently using both. No change yet on nitrates. It’s been a week, but I’ve been dosing super conservatively. Wonder what the difference is.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience recently adding Continuum Aquatics Bacter gen-MD into a tank I was dosing NoPoX into. Suddenly Nitrates dropped quickly. I think what is happening is that you are adding denitrifying bacteria (Bacter gen-MD) along with a food souce (NoPoX) turbo-charging the process. Continuum Aquatics themselves recommend dosing their Reef Micro-Fuel at the same time as the Bacter gen-MD which may produce a similar result (haven’t done that myself).

Good if you particularly want to drop Nitrates quickly. Be careful however as you can kill corals if you bottom them out!

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently using both. No change yet on nitrates. It’s been a week, but I’ve been dosing super conservatively. Wonder what the difference is.
Increasing the bacteria dose may help

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing the bacteria dose may help

I've been increasing it daily. My question is, once I see a difference, is it because of the last dose? Should I continue with the dose that it making the difference or should I stop dosing completely?

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do the same with MB7 and NoPox. I don't use the recommended amount. Instead of dosing 19mL a day I dose 10mL a day and once or twice a week I dose MB7 on my 210.
My No3 is about maybe 2PPM. My chaeto is not growing at all though.

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been increasing it daily. My question is, once I see a difference, is it because of the last dose? Should I continue with the dose that it making the difference or should I stop dosing completely?
What amounts are you dosing of each? Your size tank and do you have bio media like marine pure or lots dense rock in the system?

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok I can confirm my No3 is at 0 Nopox is taken offline nutrients have gone too low. I don't want dinos. No water change will be done either.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What amounts are you dosing of each? Your size tank and do you have bio media like marine pure or lots dense rock in the system?

I have a 220g, no bio media. Have a refugium with a bunch of different macro algae that seems to be growing slowly. I've been dosing 30ml of MB7 daily @ 6.30am, turn skimmer off until 10.30am then dose my daily dose of NOPOX @ noon. My thread on it is here.

NOPOX Dosing
6/10 - 3ml
6/11 - 3ml
6/12 - 6ml
6/13 - 6ml
6/14 - 8ml
6/15 - 8ml
6/16 - 9ml
6/17 - 9ml

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g, no bio media. Have a refugium with a bunch of different macro algae that seems to be growing slowly. I've been dosing 30ml of MB7 daily @ 6.30am, turn skimmer off until 10.30am then dose my daily dose of NOPOX @ noon. My thread on it is here.

NOPOX Dosing
6/10 - 3ml
6/11 - 3ml
6/12 - 6ml
6/13 - 6ml
6/14 - 8ml
6/15 - 8ml
6/16 - 9ml
6/17 - 9ml
You should of seen some nutrient reduction at this point maybe it’s the fact you don’t have bio media

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I can confirm my No3 is at 0 Nopox is taken offline nutrients have gone too low. I don't want dinos. No water change will be done either.
Yeah this method really strips nitrate quickly if you have nitrate to dose i would do it quickly dinos are the worst lol

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should of seen some nutrient reduction at this point maybe it’s the fact you don’t have bio media

Removing the bio media from sump is actually what reduced nitrates slightly. We have plenty of live rock in the system. That should help, right?

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the bio media from sump is actually what reduced nitrates slightly. We have plenty of live rock in the system. That should help, right?
It depends on the kind of rock you have density, surface area etc, what was the bio media you removed was is ceramic tubes or something similar that can build up waste and leach nutrients

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the kind of rock you have density, surface area etc, what was the bio media you removed was is ceramic tubes or something similar that can build up waste and leach nutrients

They were MarinePure blocks. Didn't like them at all.

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were MarinePure blocks. Didn't like them at all.
I use marine pure spheres never had any problems if you want to reduce nitrate with this method it maybe an important factor I’m not a expert it’s just how it worked for me try cleaning them off in ro water place them in a clean section of the sump and seed with mb7 then the day after dose a low dose of nopox on the block and see if you have a result that way if not maybe it’s a bad batch of mb7 Bcus others have had the same result just be careful not to bottom out nitrate Bcus that’s worse than high nitrate in my experience

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use marine pure spheres never had any problems if you want to reduce nitrate with this method it maybe an important factor I’m not a expert it’s just how it worked for me try cleaning them off in ro water place them in a clean section of the sump and seed with mb7 then the day after dose a low dose of nopox on the block and see if you have a result that way if not maybe it’s a bad batch of mb7 Bcus others have had the same result just be careful not to bottom out nitrate Bcus that’s worse than high nitrate in my experience
It may also be your flow through the media causing nutrient build up the last time

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back