Normal?

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don’t know if this is normal or not, but all my new frags I got in today are slimming pretty bad. One looks like it goes beyond that and it’s tissue is coming off.

Animals were overnighted.

Got the package on the porch at 11:15am did temp acclimation for an hour. Dipped everything in its own dip for 30 or less
Minutes. Saw some pests come off which was a good sign. Gave them each a swish in their own cup of tank water and into the frag tank they went.

Nothing in my tank expect live rock in the breeder box on back. Heater and power head. Temp is at 76. And just had my water tested at LFS last week and everything was thumbs up. I’ve even been cupping water back and forth between the DT and frag thinking that would help.

One on bottom right looks like tissue loss, not just retraction...

Any ideas?

1993b3865dfed486e233774859a8a2c7.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you contacted the seller?

OP
OP
JonPhillips

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 mins is a long dip. what were you using

Just the sea chem coral dip. I only used half of what they recommended too when I mixed it with tank water. They looked fine when I put them into the frag tank at about 1pm yesterday and it wasn’t until the afternoon that everything nuked.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 minutes is excessive for a dip. Especially when they are already stressed from shipping. The slime is normal but should go away pretty quick from flow. If they keep sliming then that’s bad and it’s probably zoox that is being expelled.

OP
OP
JonPhillips

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 minutes is excessive for a dip. Especially when they are already stressed from shipping. The slime is normal but should go away pretty quick from flow. If they keep sliming then that’s bad and it’s probably zoox that is being expelled.

It wasn’t quite 30 min. and it was half the dose the dip recommended per gallon of tank water. They looked normal, albeit closed up, when they went into the frag tank, it was the following hours that they basically nuked.

What is zoox?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn’t quite 30 min. and it was half the dose the dip recommended per gallon of tank water. They looked normal, albeit closed up, when they went into the frag tank, it was the following hours that they basically nuked.

What is zoox?
zoox=zooxanthellae

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think boom corals is right. I once dipped my corals way too long in Coral Rx dip and the same thing happened. I lost pretty much everything. I have now switched to Bayer and that did is long but it doesn't harm the corals after time like the other dips out there.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back