Northern climate PH problems in my JBJ45

Raging Franky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in northern Alberta Canada.
Winter came in like a wrecking ball and my PH decided it was going to Florida till the spring.
I have never had great PH. 7.7-7.8MAX. tested with multiple kits and running a Apex.
Last night my PH dropped to 7.58. I can pretty much sum this up to CO2 in my home especially with the furnace kicking on so much seeing it is -4f outside. having open windows is not an option. having house plants is not a great option.
I run a CO2 reactor on my little skimmer, and kalk with a dosing pump. i am going to try to set up an above tank fuge but that one i am a bit iffy on. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TRIED AND TESTED LOW PH SOLUTIONS FOR A HOME IN NORTHERN CLIMATES?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in northern Alberta Canada.
Winter came in like a wrecking ball and my PH decided it was going to Florida till the spring.
I have never had great PH. 7.7-7.8MAX. tested with multiple kits and running a Apex.
Last night my PH dropped to 7.58. I can pretty much sum this up to CO2 in my home especially with the furnace kicking on so much seeing it is -4f outside. having open windows is not an option. having house plants is not a great option.
I run a CO2 reactor on my little skimmer, and kalk with a dosing pump. i am going to try to set up an above tank fuge but that one i am a bit iffy on. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TRIED AND TESTED LOW PH SOLUTIONS FOR A HOME IN NORTHERN CLIMATES?
Have you tried a bigger c02 scrubber?
Or you can also have the scrubber pull air from tubing that goes outside so you dont have to leave the windows open.

OP
OP
R

Raging Franky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a bigger c02 scrubber?
Or you can also have the scrubber pull air from tubing that goes outside so you dont have to leave the windows open.
i thought about pulling air from outside but again the risk of freezing/clogging is too high plus it would be pulling bone chilling air and with the power of such a small skimmer... i dont think it is a good option

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought about pulling air from outside but again the risk of freezing/clogging is too high plus it would be pulling bone chilling air and with the power of such a small skimmer... i dont think it is a good option
I run an outside airline and while I don’t live in an area nearly as cold you it still gets down to around zero on occasion. The skimmer will definitely be really cold and you will need to make sure you have an appropriately sized heater to counteract that I don’t see it possibly getting cold enough to freeze. The only issue I could see with freezing would be if moisture was getting inside the airline.

OP
OP
R

Raging Franky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an outside airline and while I don’t live in an area nearly as cold you it still gets down to around zero on occasion. The skimmer will definitely be really cold and you will need to make sure you have an appropriately sized heater to counteract that I don’t see it possibly getting cold enough to freeze. The only issue I could see with freezing would be if moisture was getting inside the airline.
up here in northern Alberta we have a saying "if you dont like the weather, just wait 10 mins" today is -20c(-4f) and on monday it will be 0c(32f) for two days. moisture is definitely an issue.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
up here in northern Alberta we have a saying "if you dont like the weather, just wait 10 mins" today is -20c(-4f) and on monday it will be 0c(32f) for two days. moisture is definitely an issue.
Where I am from it will very rarely get down to just below freezing but that is as low as it ever gets. My air intake is coming out of my house under my covered porch so I’ve never had a issue with moisture in my line, but at that temp moisture in your line very well could be an issue with restricting your airflow. Plus if you’re using a scrubber I’m not sure it will help with your pH but I know it would increase the life of your media.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the PH causing actual problems or are you just unhappy with the number? Because if the tank looks fine I would just not overcomplicate anything.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a whole home or room CO2 Scrubber, rather than one that just affects the Skimmer intake?

Personally, I'm with @damsels are not mean in that if it isn't a problem, maybe consider not fixing it... However, if it is a problem, I would do the refugium or an ATS.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, from grande prairie area. I cover my tank with a glass lid. Dose limewater. Cover my overflow box with saran wrap and pump outside air into it via a computer fan sucking from a 1.5" abs pipe thats connected to my basement window with outside air. My skimmer sucks in outside air from that same abs pipe and the skimmer air goes into the glass lid of the tank. Ph stays above 8 and tops out at 8.2-8.3. Dose limewater only at night. Before I was having the same problems as you. This was the solution. Before my ph was tanking too. Sump isn't covered but is in the basement. I could expect better numbers if my sump had a cover. Basically, cover it all up and pump outside air in.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live in NYC and I have my skimmer running outside at all times. Double heating capacity than what is recommend should counteract the freezing air

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back