• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Not a "Dream Tank"

Top Shelf Aquatics

paulsz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have the 35g version of this tank. Getting the rockwork to be tall without looking out of place was difficult for me. But you've done a great job on it, very cool!

Any plans for the stocking?

OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks SPR, yeah I think I've turned it more towards the blue side since that pic, seems like that's the preferred spectrum of the grow lamps, big difference from the compact floro flood I used in my first setup.

Thanks Paul, yeah I was back and forth on the scape since my original plan was to do some zero gravity looking shelves etc, but once I started going i was happy with the outcome. Then I started second guessing it a couple months ago lol, but I'm back to liking it again. I'll have several more posts coming up that will bring the tank up to date that will cover livestock, equip, etc.

Thanks saints, I appreciate it :)

OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Tall tanks are tough, came out pretty good though. Bet it feels great to be back to reefing.
I appreciate your honesty with "pretty good" :) I know it's not that great, but it's better than it looks. That whole jumble of rocks are on a huge Tonga type cave rock and 2 other pieces that have a good amount of open space under the main structure. I'll get a pic or 2 some time that show you can actually see right through one side to the other.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
I appreciate your honesty with "pretty good" :) I know it's not that great, but it's better than it looks. That whole jumble of rocks are on a huge Tonga type cave rock and 2 other pieces that have a good amount of open space under the main structure. I'll get a pic or 2 some time that show you can actually see right through one side to the other.
Ha! Was I that obvious. That was my concern, but looking again, I see what you mean. The bottom looks more open that I noticed on first glance. If the flow is good through it I like it a lot more. The top is very interesting the way the shapes poke out. That I really like. It is tough to make different types of rocks look good together and I think you nailed that.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Ha! Was I that obvious. That was my concern, but looking again, I see what you mean. The bottom looks more open that I noticed on first glance. If the flow is good through it I like it a lot more. The top is very interesting the way the shapes poke out. That I really like. It is tough to make different types of rocks look good together and I think you nailed that.
Thanks, but you're right. It's not very good.

Last edited:
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Just a few more pics of the old system:

The Ugly:

Then I turned it around:

Some of the nasty things I had to deal with that came on the rock I got from someone in a local forum:

Bubble Algae:

Colonial Hydroids:

Everyone's Favorite, Red Flatworms:

An Invasive Mushroom:

But all in all I had it looking pretty nice by the time I broke it down and sold everything before my 2nd daughter was born:

OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
I ended up picking the Kessil A360 and paired it with an H80 and a spectral controller. Money was tight, so this is what I used to pay for them:
change.jpg

Lol, I'm not kidding. We had a big jar of change and the wife said knock yourself out. There was $630 in there!

This is the tank sometime soon after getting it running:
tank 9.jpg

And a pic of my first corals a month or so after the cycle ended:
tank 7.jpg

Last edited:
Best reef aquarium LED lighting
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

What's the first thing you do when you see algae forming in your tank?

• Panic and freak out

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Identify it as best you can

Votes: 130 30.0%
  • Test your water

Votes: 139 32.1%
  • Pull it out

Votes: 53 12.2%
  • Order more clean up crew

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 43 9.9%