Bought this 60G Cube + equipment for 150$ USD

CyberNinjaZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely reseal this tank no matter what. By the looks of it, it's a Marineland 60 cube, which I've read is known to have leak issues as it ages. You should be fine as long as you reseal it and leak test it as others have mentioned.

Also, jealous, lol

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely reseal this tank no matter what. By the looks of it, it's a Marineland 60 cube, which I've read is known to have leak issues as it ages. You should be fine as long as you reseal it and leak test it as others have mentioned.

Also, jealous, lol
I have taken the decision to redo the silicone and cuts the glass like right under the cracked glass.

I will also be using black aquarium silicone for a cleaner look.

Also the front glass has a tiny hair scratch in the bottom, I will be moving it to the back or a side where it will be less visible.

I will keep you guys updated :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken the decision to redo the silicone and cuts the glass like right under the cracked glass.

I will also be using black aquarium silicone for a cleaner look.

Also the front glass has a tiny hair scratch in the bottom, I will be moving it to the back or a side where it will be less visible.

I will keep you guys updated :)
Just forwarding my own experience. Cutting used glass sometimes you can’t get a clean cut. I don’t know if it is a UV thing or what.
Anyway just put on a new rear glass on my IM25 AIO. A bit thicker and polished edges all around cost me $25 (was not low iron but that wasn’t required)
IMG_1843.jpeg

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just forwarding my own experience. Cutting used glass sometimes you can’t get a clean cut. I don’t know if it is a UV thing or what.
Anyway just put on a new rear glass on my IM25 AIO. A bit thicker and polished edges all around cost me $25 (was not low iron but that wasn’t required)
IMG_1843.jpeg
Glass here is more expensive, I don't know why...

Called 5 shops and only one did retail custom order, they charged me 40$ CAD for a 20x17 " glass 1/4" for my vivarium so I guess a 24x24 will be much more.

Anyway these two panes are already ruined if I miss my shot.

Thanks for the input.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Called 5 shops and only one did retail custom order, they charged me 40$ CAD for a 20x17 " glass 1/4" for my vivarium so I guess a 24x24 will be much more.

Thanks for the input.
I Never try them... but might be good

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the input.
It might be the same price. Glass shops around here cut by the square foot. So the 20x17 piece may have been priced from a 24x24 piece. Good luck with the project. BTW I was very happy with the ASI silicone. In fact I accidentally glued my panel on backwards and didn’t realize until the next day. That stuff was miserable to clean off. Much worse by tenfold of the original factory silicone. So at least I know I got a good bond.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be the same price. Glass shops around here cut by the square foot. So the 20x17 piece may have been priced from a 24x24 piece. Good luck with the project. BTW I was very happy with the ASI silicone. In fact I accidentally glued my panel on backwards and didn’t realize until the next day. That stuff was miserable to clean off. Much worse by tenfold of the original factory silicone. So at least I know I got a good bond.
Cool thanks I will check it out!
Doesnt look low iron very green/blue on the edges. Could be the pic but I think its regular glass.
Its regular glass I found this online which confirmed it
1000007263.jpg

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the build

I remove the silicone from all panels and I tried cutting 1" but honestly its way harder then it looks so Il'l just call my local glass shop and ask them to cut it lol.

I will be removing 2" to clear the water stain.

1000007251.jpg

The gab between the two glass was very narrow. I will leave a 2-3mm gab in case I need to redo silicone in the future.

1000007252.jpg

All sides where labeled quickly with green masking tape.

1000007253.jpg
1000007255.jpg
1000007262.jpg
1000007256.jpg

Better leave this part to someone used to cutting glass

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could patch it and drill the back panel for an over flow. I do like that industrial looking thing though.
yeah its original!
@SomeHappyFish
This :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Eshopps etc... but around 200$ can.

patch hole whit, let's say 8x8 glass and silicone.
I had an extra and sold it lol. The back overflow would allow me to have an emergecy drain thats a +1. Il'l have to think about it.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you cutting old glass was :confounded-face: What happened to you is what used to happen to me.
I second drilling for an overflow. If not for the reason you mentioned but also just for the space.
I do love my eshopps prodigy overflows. I have them on two of my tanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back