Not a Moonshiner debate - But need a little advise on ICP-ms

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the amount was a little frightening. Is there a stronger recipe that would require less ml's
7 Bottles was $150.00....Ouch

Eventually, there will be a Nano, Standard, and Farm version for the elements. Andre is looking at that already. With a 850/G system, nothing will be cheap. That’s a lot of water. It would be the same with Triton or similar methods.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a correct dose correction for a value that low. Fluoride will saturate somewhat. However, in fast growing systems it is a heavy hitter and may of us dose daily or weekly to prevent large corrections.

Florine is incorporated into calcium carbonate, whether biological or abiotic. Hence the increased consumption when hard corals are growing fast. Whether useful or not is a different question. :)

"Our simulations suggest that the substitution of CO32- by F22- is the most favoured and that fluorine is preferentially incorporated into the three naturally-occurring polymorphs of calcium carbonate in the order vateritearagonitecalcite."

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florine is incorporated into calcium carbonate, whether biological or abiotic. Hence the increased consumption when hard corals are growing fast. Whether useful or not is a different question.

I agree with this. My tank hit a pretty good growth spurt and I noticed my fluoride level was much lower than normal. I’m on day 5 of a 7 day correction, and before this I averaged the last 3 ICP’s to try to make up the average consumption. So this month the tank was drinking pretty hard. I saw that in the growth/tips of the corals. Tank was looking really good. A typically correction for me is only a few days.

I’ve noticed better color and highest pH I’ve seen in 3 weeks, but I cannot contribute that to the fluoride correction alone. I had several other elements that dipped with it. Zinc, Bromide, Nickel, Iron, Barium, Strontium, Moly, etc. Strontium and Fluoride were the two most consumed. Typically my Sr correction isn’t very large.

Most of these elements are nearly impossible to pinpoint which is having an effect on what unless you look at the current studies or dose everything separately which is not ideal for a running reef. I never dose one element at a time, but I know that when I’m correcting all of them together, some nice things are taking place in the system.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say it's the flouride alone, because there are other elements required to make the moonshine adjustments. However I can say this is the best looking tank I have ever had by farsince using the shine. Also, before going on the shine my nems never bubbled. Now they do.
GbttDMN.jpg

ui3ZvB9.jpg

Very nice! I try to let people know, but they think it’s all hype. All I know is my
tank is thriving like never before.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you dose 1/3 to 1/2 now and see if your next test shows the same trend? Half way safe and half way dose? A good compromise? There is no reason to risk an overdose with an element that is suspect, at best, right?

I will not dose anything unless I am 100% sure but not everybody feels this way.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, with the possible toxicity of Florine if overdosed, if you cannot explain how the level disappeared, then I would also wonder if this is real and worth the risk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back