OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change today. Didn't siphon the sand, but I did pull the rocks out and scrub them. Also siphoned out as much algae as I could. Unfortunately still lots there. Ended up doing a bit larger of a water change with trying to get all the algae out.

Any tips for getting algae off of corals? My frogspawn has algae all on the skeleton. Really hard to get off without disturbing the frogspawn.

Vodka dosing is down almost by half. I have been doing 0.5ml less each day.

I have cut down on feeding a bit. All the LFS didn't have tiger pods so I will probably have to order them.

Picked up some stuff for the DIY algae scrubber. Still need the container, suction cups and a light.

@R.Weller I started a thread for some advice on the external refugium. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/external-refugium-for-aio-tank.751190/
All advice welcome!

@proxy001 I have attached the screenshot of the radion settings.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 6.17.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 6.17.41 PM.png

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky. Maybe my lighting is super off?

Well... lets start with:

1. What are the dimensions of your tank (Length x Width x Height in inches)?

2. Which lights are you using?

3. Do you have a LUX or PAR meter to take measurements?

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is at 16% intensity!!
Ok, my 2 cents. Either you get a par meter or you find a par database.
Increase that light !! **not too fast**
1598149339168.png

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... lets start with:

1. What are the dimensions of your tank (Length x Width x Height in inches)?

2. Which lights are you using?

3. Do you have a LUX or PAR meter to take measurements?

1. Not including back filtration: 24"x 16x 12
2. Radion xr30
3. Not at the moment. Asking around to see if anyone close has one.

He is at 16% intensity!!
Ok, my 2 cents. Either you get a par meter or you find a par database.
Increase that light !! **not too fast**
1598149339168.png

So the intensity I should be paying attention to is that one and not the intensity bar on the side?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree on the light settings. Just bring purple down just a little which is UV
The one thing that jumped out at me with the algae issue:
IS THIS TANK AT OR NEAR A WINDOW? This would definitly cause the ALGAE ISSUES YOU DESCRIBE. ALSO , HOW MANY HOURS OF LIGHT PER DAY ?

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the light settings. Just bring purple down just a little which is UV
The one thing that jumped out at me with the algae issue:
IS THIS TANK AT OR NEAR A WINDOW? This would definitly cause the ALGAE ISSUES YOU DESCRIBE. ALSO , HOW MANY HOURS OF LIGHT PER DAY ?

It's near a window. Blinds are closed 99% of the time.

So what intensity should I be aiming for with the lights?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's near a window. Blinds are closed 99% of the time.

So what intensity should I be aiming for with the lights?
That window as suspected is your issue. Even with blinds, the UV from the sun will penetrate the blinds regardless. Try black construction paper from stationery section from Walmart-92 cents and block the panel that faces window and see what happens

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That window as suspected is your issue. Even with blinds, the UV from the sun will penetrate the blinds regardless. Try black construction paper from stationery section from Walmart-92 cents and block the panel that faces window and see what happens

I will give that a try. Thanks for the advice.

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe light is too intense, silicates might be high. All I all, I’d raise the mag to 1500 and keep it there and just dose your cal and alk regularly.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having much luck with finding a par meter to borrow.

I could just buy the seneye reef monitor that has the light meter. Although I am not sure how accurate they are.

Also got all my supplies ordered for the algae scrubber. So hopefully I can get that going to get the algae out of the display.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rent one from BRS. I think it's a little expensive, but they are essential in my opinion.

My aquarium sits against a window btw. I went to the dollar store and got one of those black plastic poster boards to block the light. You can cut it to be taller and wider than your tank if there is too much light spill off.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rent one from BRS. I think it's a little expensive, but they are essential in my opinion.

My aquarium sits against a window btw. I went to the dollar store and got one of those black plastic poster boards to block the light. You can cut it to be taller and wider than your tank if there is too much light spill off.

I'm in Canada so BRS isn't an option for me. Also in a small town so no real dedicated reef supply store either. One of the down sides I guess.

I was actually looking into car window tint that you can stick on. You can get the super black limo tint. It might look a little better than poster board, which is important if you live in a strata complex.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, bit of an update.

Tank has been weaned off of vodka dosing now. I have not been scrubbing the rocks in the tank, but I have been trying to manually remove as much as possible. So far I am losing that fight so algae is worse. Any tips on getting algae out from the holes in the rocks. I can't get my fingers in there.

I have been doing less feedings with 1/4 cube frozen every other day.

Seneye has been ordered and should come this week so I can get some par readings. Window tint is on back order.

Started putting together the algae scrubber. Just waiting on the knitting mesh to arrive. Sold out everywhere in town.

I seem to be losing a head of frogspawn.... so corals could be better.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye came today. Should have par readings... If I can get the dang thing to work.

Setting up the app has been challenging. Still can't get it to open... So far not impressed with the experience.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@proxy001 Good call on the par meter. Light is definitely too low. Finally got the seneye working and took some quick par readings.

Highest reading on the upper portion of the tank was 201
Highest in the middle 134
Highest on the bottom 74

I will get some better readings tonight. But it looks like I need to up the brightness of the lights. What should I be aiming for par wise?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being someone who has been reefing for over 15 years here is my advice.

Remove most rock and replace with liverock from somewhere like Tampa Bay saltwater. I would also add 1lb of their sand as well. Reduce photo period to no more than 10 hours. Forget about vodka or any dosing of chemicals whatsoever and just let the reef find its own natural balance. This will create a system that takes care of itself in most ways.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being someone who has been reefing for over 15 years here is my advice.

Remove most rock and replace with liverock from somewhere like Tampa Bay saltwater. I would also add 1lb of their sand as well. Reduce photo period to no more than 10 hours. Forget about vodka or any dosing of chemicals whatsoever and just let the reef find its own natural balance. This will create a system that takes care of itself in most ways.

Is that for the added biodiversity? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any options for ocean live rock here in Canada. At least none that I have come across.

Will the regular cured "liverock" that LFS has do the trick? If so, I can get some of that and give it a try.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 119 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back