Not necessarily new to SW but still learning about the different corals...Question about my Favia

LovingSaltwaterLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping someone can help. Over the past few weeks I've noticed the brown colored growth surrounding my Favia but I'm not sure what it could be. At first I thought it might be some sort of algae but now I have my doubts. It started to spread onto another rock that the coral was leaning against and I don't want it to get too out of control if it's something that needs to go. It's possible that it's nothing to worry about but I wanted to get other opinions.

I've attached a pic. Any ideas??

IMG_4610.jpg

Thank you!

NobleSun27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like It might be some sort of soft coral but hard to tell in the pics. I would remove it by hand while you can before it does become a problem maybe even completely separate those pieces until you make sure is gone.

OP
OP
LovingSaltwaterLife

LovingSaltwaterLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I agree with you and will get on it ASAP. Seems like it's growing rapidly so the sooner it comes out, the better. Thanks again!

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant tell from the pic but just a wild guess that it could be dinoflagellates (dino) only say that because of the bubbles forming which is a sign of dino.

OP
OP
LovingSaltwaterLife

LovingSaltwaterLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, one thing I've learned from this is I need a camera that takes better pictures. :smile: What would be the easiest (and/or quickest) way to get rid of Dino? I will be doing a 30% water change this weekend and removing what I can from the rocks and coral by hand. I've heard about using Hydrogen Peroxide but I'm afraid to use it in fear of possibly killing off other corals and the fish. Thoughts??

My tank is 28g.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back