Not quite a build thread, build thread -- shroom fraggish tank...kinda

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've on a kick collecting shrooms and after a few nem scares, I decided that it's high time to get off my butt and get that "frag" tank going from my shrooms.

At first, I was going to go traditional with racks, etc. But got to thinking, it would be super cool to make an all shroom tank that is close to their natural habitat as possible. Perhaps, this might encourage more growth and goodness.

So instead of a frag tank for shrooms, I went with an all shroom tanks to hold frags of shrooms and surface for growth of potential brood stock.

After hemming and hawing, I decided instead of setting up a new tank from scratch, I would reuse my current LR culturing tank (you never know when you need LR in a hurry). So, in comes my Fluval Spec V LR holding tank, which is pretty much stock with a 25W heater.

20180312_234447.jpg

And since I wanted to have my shrooms move in right away, I didn't completely empty out all the water... only about 50%.

In addition to LR, I also keep 200 lbs of Live Sand submersed in water at all times...again, you never know :)

After scraping all the green and purple coralline algae off my glass, adding sand and replacing rocks... here's what I have with my shrooms fully moved in. My main DT also have a collection of different shrooms but too lazy to move them for now.

20180313_113800.jpg

I also took advantage of this new setup to try out the new hipargero A065 light (more on that later, in another thread)...

20180313_121023.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back