Not rotating stickies for ten years is holding up reef practice evolution, mods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the power of this site isn’t being leveraged as well as it could be if stickies were swapped out at a faster rate than once a dec

Old dated practices are kept elevated as the go-to resource in stickies using the current default mode, for ten years readers only see the same spotlight?

What has evolved in reefing we know of over the last ten years?

-For cycling in the new tanks forum

-For algae control or dinos best practices in the nuisance algae forum

-To discuss sandbeds

Each forum has its reference sticky at the top

Threads with better outcome % don’t get the focus, they have to earn earn pages based on results to stay in rotation or they sink down out of reference. stickies get readers who replicate the method as a default best practice because it was endorsed at the top, even if the results we can all directly see in the sticky aren’t really amazing.

That holds up beneficial reef tank best practices evolution

Make a forum where we can all propose better stickies, please mods. Then you pick based on polls, or better outcomes you see by your review process.

has anyone considered roughly a ten percent update on todays knowledge as a valid space occupant for stickies

Make a new forum where readers put links in as offers, you’ll leverage the collective thought power of this site much better than having multiple stickies that never get vetted against potentially better reference training material.

Do something that changes the status quo of how best practices are touted on the board for the strongest positive impact to reefing, this site has untapped power being wasted. Make the vote forum pls mods

The current sticky selection process does not include the swing vote factor of a results threshold that must be in place for the chosen best practices thread to remain.

Far better results are on file for the subject matter at hand, new practices under scrutiny = very very good use of the collective thought power on the board.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the power of this site isn’t being leveraged as well as it could be if stickies were swapped out at a faster rate than once a dec

Old dated practices are kept elevated as the go-to resource in stickies using the current default mode, for ten years readers only see the same spotlight?

What has evolved in reefing we know of over the last ten years?

-For cycling in the new tanks forum

-For algae control or dinos best practices in the nuisance algae forum

-To discuss sandbeds

Each forum has its reference sticky at the top

Threads with better outcome % don’t get the focus, they have to earn earn pages based on results to stay in rotation or they sink down out of reference. stickies get readers who replicate the method as a default best practice because it was endorsed at the top, even if the results we can all directly see in the sticky aren’t really amazing.

That holds up beneficial reef tank best practices evolution

Make a forum where we can all propose better stickies, please mods. Then you pick based on polls, or better outcomes you see by your review process.

has anyone considered roughly a ten percent update on todays knowledge as a valid space occupant for stickies

Make a new forum where readers put links in as offers, you’ll leverage the collective thought power of this site much better than having multiple stickies that never get vetted against potentially better reference training material.

Do something that changes the status quo of how best practices are touted on the board for the strongest positive impact to reefing, this site has untapped power being wasted. Make the vote forum pls mods

The current sticky selection process does not include the swing vote factor of a results threshold that must be in place for the chosen best practices thread to remain.

Far better results are on file for the subject matter at hand, new practices under scrutiny = very very good use of the collective thought power on the board.
Those stickies are the fundamentals and foundation of reef keeping that got us here today! That’s the problem with todays reefers they over complicated everything and dose everything in a bottle any more… basic reef keeping is simple and it works! Better than most everything you can buy on a shelf today.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take that to mean no other methods should get to compete?

If better more efficient ways develop, which is all of reefing, we shouldn't get to see what happens if they get the elevated space?

Having to earn topside status by keeping busy with work in a thread is the ultimate recertification for any decent sticky.

If the thread without cheat support stays up on the page by sheer work demand/new jobs worked/ then I say sticky it for another ten

But to never rotate

Never test

Never post something new, regardless of fix % rate on file, that's wasting valuable real estate.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you identify an outdated sticky, it can easily be replace by a new and improved version, or if it is simply wrong, just unsticked.

remember, though, there may be many different opinions on something.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw

Your sticky in the nuisance algae forum Troy has results that stands on its own merit. Regardless of age of thread, that's a lot of tanks helped. If I had to go off sheer results alone for dinos, your thread wins :)

But somehow, some way, that vital space needs competition we need new fire, at least occasionally

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I gotcha. That's cool you guys would evaluate offers.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw

Your sticky in the nuisance algae forum Troy has results that stands on its own merit. Regardless of age of thread, that's a lot of tanks helped. If I had to go off sheer results alone for dinos, your thread wins :)

But somehow, some way, that vital space needs competition we need new fire, at least occasionally
I get it… if a thread is posted and it takes off they will stick it.: times have changed we used to have thread of week which was spotlighted and if kept rolling it was stuck! At least when I was a mod on here that’s how it rolled..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nature and purpose of stickies depends on the forum, but I’ll note that none of the stickies in this subforum are about methods and in my subforum I update them as appropriate.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

where can we discuss competition to current stickies for other forums
is there a good place here on the site/ a mod chat group or something?

chemistry forum is plenty set for a while it seems and you seem to have a fair means of evaluating change requests should some arise.

new methods exist for cycling options and invasion control options, changes to stickies in the new tanks forum and changes to stickies in the nuisance algae forum are where the site can grow

whoever evaluates sticky rotation is going to want proof, where do we discuss what constitutes proof of new methodology worth ~ half a year test rotation in sticky to garner results strong enough nobody wants to unsticky it?

do the evaluators provide feedback on declines, and, does that mean we can get some up front expectations from the deciders/what they want in stickies in order to shape works intended to be stickies?

truly the site needs a forum dedicated to sticky rotation evaluation. The public should be able to see the new nomination works details in progress (ideally). I also know sticky rotation may be at Rev's sole control heh and not up for appeal, but that real estate is powerful and it's not being utilized correctly in those two forums for sure and it's fun real estate up on the hill to at least ponder from down below in the valley

I think the evaluation process for stickies in the nuisance algae forum should be results-based heavily. offers for new sticky real estate space should be able to demonstrate high compliance results for the subject at hand, that's why I'd like to know what the mods want for proof of efficacy regarding new stickies in the new tank forum and in the nuisance algae forum

would they accept gigantic threads of hundreds of reef tanks all performing a single task in cycling or invasion control as proof of method, or does that not count / want alternate proofs? if someone wants to work to create a sticky that does not currently exist, what criterion do they aim for

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is if you have a proposed sticky, report that new proposed sticky or old one you want removed, and give a reason in the report. Reports go to mods who can then discuss it.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we call that the silent perpetual decline funnel in work threader's groups heh

but I don't blame anyone for regulating their top real estate by any means they want on their own site.

I can truly say this though, if it was my site the hunger for striving results improvement would have had me actively rotating them already for as long vs that current method. To not use the site's best real estate to inspect and elevate changing best practices in reefing is a travesty to science.

the current method has resulted in completely stale stickies with very low production rates for the subject matter at hand, that means the selection process is stale.

the astounding number of tanks we could've handled and directly gained a positive feedback from the keeper with laser clear compliant update pics: a missed opportunity of pageslong proportions.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

I tried to reach out yesterday to you and I selected the report button too.

Can you read my post here #832. I feel a cold silent decline coming with no tell of expectations for new threads giving me something to aim for or modify the direction of that thread for future jobs.

if you will let me know of your own personal bar for a cycling work thread in the new tanks forum that’s what I’ll work towards. The decline reply does not give me a bar to attain

My request is some sort of mechanism I can possibly do to get that thread of perfect results stickied. The reason I want it is so that I get a gazillion work requests and I’ll work them all on file.

By page 300, the results will look the same we’ve collected to date.

the reason brew’s thread should not be a sticky is because he has not been in the thread for years.

All jobs are worked by us from the forum, not mods, and that makes it a regular Joe old cycling thread (lack of disease mention, he teaches to test for nitrite, open-ended cycle waits etc. it’s pure old cycling science, the kind my results replace with exact prediction cycle end dates, no open ended waits, an up front focus on disease and 100% passed tests as many pages as the thread runs)

I’ve made about two hundred cycle end date calculations in just a couple threads over three years. If you lemme have a mere six months as a sticky I’ll double that work load, all on file to see if your readers associate happiness with cycling at reef2reef or unhappiness. Going off logged results, they’ll be happy

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The admins and moderators reviewed the proposed sticky and declined to put it up as a new sticky.

If the concern is Brew's thread, we won't remove a sticky just because the OP is not active. Many stickies are actually closed threads anyway.

We would alter or remove a sticky if it contained false information, but not just because people may have different opinions.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just declined with no statement on bar needed, fails of the thread, levels that need to be met, basic response to my admission essay, nothing.

How well did that prediction go down? I'm on a roll apparently.

The bar for sticky replacement is concealed 100%. It's their site, no fault, but you're leaking science.

The benefit of this thread was I learned at no time can any reader have a fair access to sticky writing.

By providing no bar clearly set, no forum to discuss criteria, never inputs on any decline or reasons for acceptance, there will be no appealing sticky placement regardless of results on file.

The mods will silently pick from threads they like for the respective forum and you cannot apply to be in review. I found my answer.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nature and purpose of stickies depends on the forum, but I’ll note that none of the stickies in this subforum are about methods and in my subforum I update them as appropriate.
Not really a proposal here but more pointing something out, I realize it would be very labor intensive to do anything about. A lot of the stickies are bloated and cumbersome to sift through.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you mods for the move to this forum I had searched but didn't see it. That's very fair. It gives the chance to be fairly evaluated based on logged work outcomes one day. Very nice, this was the forum I was looking for.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have moved this thread to forum feedback as this seems a more appropriate place for this discussion.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back