Not sure of the best way to do this?

denise willenborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi- So, I have 150 gallon tank that has been up for a few years now. I have been a slacker in the sense that I saw an aptasia in my tank a few months ago but didnt do anything about it. Well, needless to say there are a bunch in there now. Plus I also want to change up the some of the aquascape and frag out some stuff.
Anyway, I want to take out the rock that has a bunch of aptasia on it and I read that just RO water would kill the Aptasia but I tried it and didnt work so well. I know I can acid wash it or bleach it but not sure if I can just put the rock back in the tank or if I have to cycle it first. I wouldnt take all the rock out just a few pieces. I also have some I took out that I let dry in the sun and want to put that back in but again not sure about if I need to cycle it. I just want to get rid of the Aptasia and whatever else that shouldnt be in there while I am cleaning it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have you tried peppermint shrimp,matted filefish ,molly miller blenny are good options.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think adding peppermint shrimps etc would be far easier than what you are suggesting, removing the rocks and cleaning will NOT solve the issue, they will still be in there.

If you want to clean the rocks for other reasons, you dont need to cycle the rocks before putting them back in if you dont want, as long as you dont remove too much at a time, just need to make sure all the dead matter is removed or it will cause a spike in ammonia.

OP
OP
D

denise willenborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did try pepermint shrimp and they didnt do anything. The butterfly fish may be an option but I have a few tangs that are big and tend to be bullies to new fish.
I want to take the rock out just to redo the aquascape and figured maybe I could rid the aptasia that way. So, I think I will just put the few pieces back in that I took out after I glue them together the way I want them to be and probably just throw out the rock with Aptasia or get a few Berghia Nudibranch.

I was just concerned about the Ammonia spiking with the dry live rock but I guess if it is only a few pieces it wont be an issue, right????

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you definitely get peppermint shrimps? Some LFS sell similar shrimps as peppermints, do a search for a true peppermint, you also need enough for the size of the tank, I had 2 in a nano 14g and they cleared it in less than 2 weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back