Not sure what to think of this.

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, turns out my Banggai Cardinal fish have been doing the courtship dance for a couple of days now. Yesterday I left the lights on as much as I could. Upon going to bed, since they were still doing their thing, I decided to only leave the blue LEDs on for a little while longer. I got up around 3 am to check on the fishies and found the female had something hanging for her behind. I believe it's eggs, but I'm not sure they should still be hanging and I wonder if something went wrong during the mating process.

Does anyone with Banggai breeding experience have any input on this?

655314-ecf96551799bc3ce196fc8db11bbbcdb.jpg

IMG_20180328_081740.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven' seen it but have read about it...sometimes he doesn' get them all in his mouth...they should drop off naturally in time...bigger question is .....is he carrying a mouthful??

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven' seen it but have read about it...sometimes he doesn' get them all in his mouth...they should drop off naturally in time...bigger question is .....is he carrying a mouthful??

That's the sad part. He's not carrying anything in his mouth. Was the first thing I checked. I will try to look again, but his mouth looks normal. I am disappointed because this is my first pair of Banggai cardinals and was excited to have them breed.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don' always get it right the first time....they just need some practice...:)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back