Novahobbies 110g Reef Aquarium Reset

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you know, I've suffered a tank crash in the past couple months. Part pilot error (because no matter what, there's ALWAYS owner fault), part mystery toxin that's killing inverts, part Monti-eating nudis, and part phosphate leaching from my ATO reservoir, but the long and the short of it is that my tank went from this:
994108_10203168992294084_447920341_n[1].jpg

to this:
1526915_10203164026449941_1873110124_n[1].jpg

in a matter of months. Almost all of my SPS died, many of my LPS, and my zoas have been unhappy for a while now. I have been doing small (15g) water changes, regular gfo swaps and filter pad changes, but that's it. Until now. This thread will detail my journey back on track, and will chronicle how long it takes, the steps I take, what works and what doesn't. I want to use this both for my own records, and hopefully for someone who is having a similar problem in the future.

This system currently has large patches of bryopsis algae , mixed in with some regular HA, a few bits of caulerpa, and a few bubble algae spots cropping up. Last Monday I did a moderate 30 gallon water change manually, using my fingers and a siphon to get in there and remove a large amount of the algae. Bubble algae is easy to siphon out, just scrape along the base of the bubble with the siphon tube and the bubble zips away into the collection tub. I manually removed as much of the bryopsis and caulerpa as I could manage, and I think I made a pretty good overall dent on the algae present in the tank.

But that's barely the beginning of what I'm sure is going to be a somewhat long battle.

During the 30g WC, I also replaced my activated carbon and replaced/increased the GFO tumbling in the TLF reactor. I now have 1.5 cups of GFO tumbling (I was using 3/4 cup) and about 1 cup of carbon in a bag under the filter pads. Of course the standard cleaning included new filter pads (I do this weekly) and cleaning the skimmer cup in the sink. I also removed my ATO reservior when I realized it was leaching phosphates into the tank. My Phos coming out of the RODI unit was reading 0.03. The phos IN the ATO tank after ONE DAY was reading over 0.2!! I replaced this with a 7g Kent salt bucket that is stamped as HDPE-2 (Hi-density polyethylene, grade-2, food use). This shouldn't leach any phosphates.

The next step for me is a MASSIVE water change. As I said, I suspect I have some toxins present, possibly from a water-column dinoflagellate. I have been seeing invertebrates dying off (snails and sea hares) and that is a published very common fingerprint of dinoflagellate toxin. In order to remove as much toxin as quickly as possible, I am opting for a 70 gallon water change which is going to be done this coming Sunday. I have a delivery guy coming who will do a simple pumping out and in of 70-80 gallons of NSW. He won't do any weed-pulling, but that's why I did so much in my 30g WC on Monday.

On the advise of a few people here, I have also started a low carbon dosing regimen. I'm using Microbacter as my bacterial additive and Red Sea Nitrate & Phosphate reducer as my daily carbon dose. I'm starting out at 2 mL per day, and increasing to 4 mL in a week. 4 mL daily is the max I intend to use, because my nitrate isn't really out of whack. I officially started the carbon dosing tonight.

In order to get the bryopsis tamed, I'm going to use the Kent Magnesium trick. My Mag is at 1280 ppm now using the Red Sea test kit, and I have a gallon of Kent Mag being delivered tomorrow. My goal is to raise it to 1600 ppm to kill off the Bryopsis.

Here are my chemistry readings as of tonight:
pH: 8.2 (Tropic Marin kit)
Trates: Less than 5, more than 0 (API kit)
Calcium: 440 (API kit)
KH: 150ppm or 8.4 dKH (Nutrafin kit)
Mg: 1280ppm (Red Sea kit)
Phos: 0.08 (Hanna Checker)
Amm: 0 (API kit)
Salinity: 1.025 / 32

And for completion, here is the equipment list of the tank as of today:
110g reef-ready aquarium
29g sump with chaeto fuge
100 gallons TOTAL water volume
120 (+or-) lbs Live Rock
60lbs Black Tahitian sand
2 120-Watt Chinese LED fixtures, supplemented with RAPIDLED Greens, Reds, Warm Whites, and UV
Marineland Protein skimmer
TLF GFO reactor
TLF Kalk stirrer
7 gallon ATO reservoir tied into Kalk stirrer
18-watt UV system

And finally, here's what it looked like AFTER that 30g WC.
1013224_10203181991219049_1847702003_n[1].jpg

So come along for the ride! If you have any suggestions, post 'em. My goal is to get this back into fighting trim by the end of February, and hopefully start introducing new SPS corals by mid-March.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I have a few SPS that I can cut you some frags when you are ready to start up. Just let me know.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see the comeback!

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. It's going to take some time, but worth it of course.

Just got notice that my Kent Magnesium was delivered at the house. I'll start raising the Mag AFTER the ginormous water change on Sunday. No use adding it just to have it thrown away with the wastewater.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard- Sorry to hear. Been there, and it stinks, but perseverance will bring you back.

how long has this tank been set up before all this happened?

Have you tested you RO/DI for choloramines?

AND IMHO reconsider your PS choice.

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard- Sorry to hear. Been there, and it stinks, but perseverance will bring you back.

Eddie, it had been running for about 16 months before I started to see the system waver. As for chloramines, I know my city uses them, and I run a chloramine filter (catalytic carbon) in my RODI unit, yes. No ammonia in my RODI, and (until recently) no phosphates. I noticed last night that I had 0.03 phosphates on my RODI registering, so it's time to change the DI resin. However, my ATO reservoir tested at over 0.20 phosphate levels after only ONE day of sitting in the tub....so my reservoir was definitely leaching a lot of phosphates!!

Reconsider my PS? Why? It pulls a LOT of gunk, and it's steady at it's job. I think the Marineland skimmers get a bad rap. They need certain conditions (ROCK solid water level, regular neck cleanings) but so far it's been a workhorse. Now if someone has a bubble magnus or a classic reef octopus 150 they want to donate, hey, I'm game! :laugh:

Seriously, I may upgrade skimmers in the future, but it's not quite in the cards right now.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eddie I thought you were still there!

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water guy confirmed for tomorrow morning! Guess I better clean up the place a little, huh?? :xd:

I just did the math on my Magnesium. I have a 64 ounce bottle. That will give me 340ppm increase in Mg in my 100 gallon system (roughly). If I want to raise it to 1600, I'm going to need all of that plus a little more to keep it steady.....assuming my Mag stays at 1280 after the water change, that is. Do you think I can get away with a 16 ounce bottle or should I buy another 64 ounce bottle?

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for the water guy. Can you tell I'm a little excited about it? I even woke up at 7:30 on a SUNDAY to get ready, and I don't wake up that early on Sunday for many reasons! LOL....

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaand, DONE! I'll let the tank pumps cycle for a few minutes, then I'll turn off the return pump and change the filter pads once again this afternoon.

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck nova. Nice to see you hang in there after such a painful loss.

Thanks! Well, ya gotta hang in there....it'd be silly to give up just because of a setback!

I went to Lowe's and picked up the guttergard material so I can (hopefully!) keep critters from doing the backflip into the return.

Here's the stuff I found:
20140126_160944_zpsg9vvuptd.jpg

Which cut down to almost nothing yielded this:
20140126_161049_zpsevtn7fmq.jpg

Once that was done, it was tucked into the space between the inner and outer overflow shell:
20140126_161209_zpsepszgrth.jpg

And this butts up against the tank screening quite nicely:
20140126_161239_zpss9h7zaez.jpg

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a productive day. Got the filters replaced again, and cleaned almost 2 cups of skimmate from the past 2 days. Besides the big WC and the new gutterguard, I also got into the overflow, drained it, and removed & cleaned the standpipe. Over the course of the year it had somehow fallen down a bit, and the reduced watr level in the overflow was causing a crashing sound that I really didn't like.

Besides, it was also an excuse to look for missing fish. Which weren't in there, but now I can at least say that I know it for certain.

My new water is at 1300ppm for Magnesium. First order of business.....use the Kent TechM and raise the mag to get rid of the bryopsis. I have to raise it to 1600, which is going to take 2.25 cups daily (100ppm each day) for 3 days. Debating on whether to do this in a drip line or just add it in 2 batches.....say, a cup when I get home from work, and the balance before bed. What do y'all think?

OP
OP
novahobbies

novahobbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys....I appreciate the support! Yes it's a compact sump....it's a 29g AGA tank, and was the biggest thing I could really fit in there. I can't do 36" inside because of clearance issues. Maybe one day I'll opt for a custom acrylic sump, but this one gets the job done fairly well. I AM considering removing my filter pad & carbon area and replacing it with a sock instead, to make it easier to replace the physical filter media.

Tonight's the night that my QT fish get introduced. Should be fun....especially the Jawfish. The only other task tonight is adding another 2.25 cups of Kent TechM to knock the Mag up another 100ppm.

Back