Now that I have seen the light...

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I was walking by my tank and did a double take. The sun was directly illuminating a very small portion of my tank and it was glorious. My purple stylophora and purple porites were glowing, usually they are kinda drab bluish at best. See pictures below for the usual coloration:

IMG_2670.jpg
IMG_2671.jpg

My aquarium is opposite of a very large set of windows and at this time of year around 9:00 light comes directly from the sun through my windows and illuminates small parts of the aquarium for like 20 minutes max. Today was the day I walked by at just the right time and now that I have seen the light I must have that color!(I will try to get pictures tomorrow ) So I ask you, can I duplicate that sunlight effect with my Kessil AP9x LEDs ?

Here is what I have now for settings. I have a photo period of 12 hours that ramps from very low intensity (15) and blue coloration (15) to a more whitish color at mid-day of 50 for color and 36 for intensity. The Violet color channel ranges from 10 in the early and late hours up to 50 at mid-day, the red color channel goes from 2 early to 18 at mid-day, and the green channel has been at 0. I tried experimenting with the red, green, and violet channels with no effect at replicating what I have seen.

I hope someone can please point me in the right direction at to what to try, now that I know what I am missing it is agonizing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While natural sun can be a treat, assure it’s not promoting algae or raising tank temperature

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back