Nudibranch id

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure this is a nudibranch I found in my macro tank tonight. I couldn't find any photos on Internet that was close to it. The blue spots aren't really showing on these photos, but they are a light bluish, green and maybe some white ones too. Anyone know what it is? Should I let it be in my macroalgae tank?

PXL_20240320_031556748.jpg PXL_20240320_031521230.jpg PXL_20240320_031515950.jpg PXL_20240320_031556748.jpg

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Black Dendrodoris Nudibranch. Reef safe. Good algae grazer. Have read they may nibble on certain types on sponges. I have 2 in my tank but no sponges of any importance so I can't verify if they do or don't.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an Elysia sp. sacoglossan slug - an algae eater; they feed by sucking the chloroplasts out of macroalgae.

Any chance of pics of it under brighter white light? (I'm assuming it's a green color in person, but it looks almost black in the pics). Also, what kinds of macroalgae do you have in the tank?
Looks like a Black Dendrodoris Nudibranch. Reef safe. Good algae grazer. Have read they may nibble on certain types on sponges. I have 2 in my tank but no sponges of any importance so I can't verify if they do or don't.
Just to clarify this here, Dendrodoris nudibranchs (and most other Dorid nudibranchs) exclusively feed on specific sponges - they're not algae eaters at all, and they will starve over time without access to the sponges they need.

Edit: For anyone curious, zoom in on pic #2 and you can see some of the green coloration and the leafy texture typical of Elysia slugs on the critter's back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an Elysia sp. sacoglossan slug - an algae eater; they feed by sucking the chloroplasts out of macroalgae.

Any chance of pics of it under brighter white light? (I'm assuming it's a green color in person, but it looks almost black in the pics). Also, what kinds of macroalgae do you have in the tank?

Just to clarify this here, Dendrodoris nudibranchs (and most other Dorid nudibranchs) exclusively feed on specific sponges - they're not algae eaters at all, and they will starve over time without access to the sponges they need.
Here's a couple photos under whites only. And you're right. It is green.
I can't remember all the types of macroalgae I have but they are mostly reds other than codium and Caulerpa Prolifera, and some sort of moss ball. So do you think it will eat my macros?

Attachments

• PXL_20240320_035411682.jpg
    PXL_20240320_035411682.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240320_035357627.jpg
    PXL_20240320_035357627.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 30

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple photos under whites only. And you're right. It is green.
I can't remember all the types of macroalgae I have but they are mostly reds other than codium and Caulerpa Prolifera, and some sort of moss ball. So do you think it will eat my macros?
Unfortunately, yes.

It's definitely feeding on your macro, probably the Codium or Caulerpa:
That said, Elysia slugs generally feed on siphonalean algae such as Caulerpa, Codium, Acetabularia, Halimeda, Udotea, Byropsis, and Valonia spp.
I'll see if I can figure out a species ID tomorrow, but I'd suggest checking for egg spirals on your macros, especially any green ones.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, yes.

It's definitely feeding on your macro, probably the Codium or Caulerpa:

I'll see if I can figure out a species ID tomorrow, but I'd suggest checking for egg spirals on your macros, especially any green ones.
Thanks. Not what I was hoping to hear, but I appreciate the quick responses. I did find it on a blade of the Caulerpa.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A day late here, but any ideas on where your slug came from?

If it's from Florida, it's most likely E. canguzua.
No worries, and I have no idea where it came from. Just saw it in the tank the other night. Not sure how long it's been in there. I have ordered some macros from a vendor in Florida in the past.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A day late here, but any ideas on where your slug came from?

If it's from Florida, it's most likely E. canguzua.
Found another critter. Is this just a larger one? It looks as though it has a small shell.

Attachments

• PXL_20240325_044045725.jpg
    PXL_20240325_044045725.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 14

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found another critter. Is this just a larger one? It looks as though it has a small shell.
Ah, sorry, forgot to reply to this - looks like a bubble snail, though I can't tell for sure which from the pic; some that look similar include Bulla species and Haminoea species (there are more, but these look the most similar that I remember at the moment).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back