Zoa eating nudibranchs?

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found two of these nudibranchs on my zoa rock. Not sure if they are zoa eating variety. The pics i found online were more red. These are glowing green under my slightly blue lights.

I had a lettuce nudibranch a long time ago that looks just like it (just bigger) but it died. Wondering if this is their offspring?

IMG_9075.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lettuce nudibranch a long time ago that looks just like it (just bigger) but it died. Wondering if this is their offspring?
Definitely not traditional lettuce nudibranchs (Elysia spp.) here, though some sacoglossan slugs can look like this.

For ID purposes, a top-down shot and a straight-on side shot both showing one slug's full body (extended normally like in a bowl of tank water) under white lighting would be useful.

That said, I'm doubtful these are sacoglossans, so I'm leaning toward them being coral/anemone predators.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics very dark to tell, but may be either dirona or Eubranchus species

OP
OP
D

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to try to catch it so i could take a white light shot from top down. Unfortunately they went back in hiding. I did try to pick out one that came out this morning but it got fragged in half

The way it seems to only hang out in the zoa frag do make me think they are zoa predators. I have just never seen one that fluorese like that

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are eating your corals, they will definitely Fluorescent. Also be especially careful in handling them, they are very toxic. Someone on this Site was looking to get rid of Zoas, maybe you could hook up with them, and ship them. Best way to move them is pull the rock out and with gloved hands, put an ice cube on them, to get them to release and curl. Probably Hitchhiked on some live rock or coral.

Last edited:

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try to catch it so i could take a white light shot from top down. Unfortunately they went back in hiding. I did try to pick out one that came out this morning but it got fragged in half

The way it seems to only hang out in the zoa frag do make me think they are zoa predators. I have just never seen one that fluorese like that
Catching it shouldnt be that hard if you find it first just suck it up with a turkey blaster or suck it up with bucket and hose.

OP
OP
D

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finally caught this bugger. Took a top down pic in a tupperware. Certainly look more like a zoa eating nudibranch under white light. Let me know what u guys think

Attachments

• IMG_9091.jpeg
    IMG_9091.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 65

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught this bugger. Took a top down pic in a tupperware. Certainly look more like a zoa eating nudibranch under white light. Let me know what u guys think
in the trash you go foul spawn!

8-Bit Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely zoa eating nudi's! Just take a turkey baster and suck them up. i used to do this alllll the time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back