Nudibranch? What type?

gr8pretender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Happy Easter! Found this dude on the glass and put him under a microscope. Seems like some kind of a nudibranch (please not the zoa eating ones....) what do you guys think?

E700698E-24A6-45D8-9105-D788F98DCA9B.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These nudibranchs eat montipora species. Agree on evicting them. Hopefully you have only one as Montipora Eating Nudibranchs are a type of aeolid nudibranchs which are known to feed on coral. It is important to keep these parasites out of our aquaria. Montipora Eating Nudibranchs feed on the tissue of corals from the Montipora and Anacropora genus. These nudibranchs can destroy large amounts of coral in a very short time.
They can inflict damage quickly because they multiply at an astounding rate, and they store the nematocysts (stingers) of its ingested prey. Montipora Eating Nudibranchs are hard to get under control because of the rate of which the multiply. Also for the next 14 days, look daily for signs of eggs which are really tiny. They must be scraped off outside of tank if you find any .

OP
OP
gr8pretender

gr8pretender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, geeze thanks for your guys quick help in identifying. I was hoping maybe it was an aiptasia eating nudi and would put it back if that was the case... but I do have a branching monti that was starting to break apart with no reason at all even though it was looking healthy, so this TOTALLY makes sense now. I’m going to start researching how to deal with this immediately. Thanks so much again!

AriMiko43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Omg, geeze thanks for your guys quick help in identifying. I was hoping maybe it was an aiptasia eating nudi and would put it back if that was the case... but I do have a branching monti that was starting to break apart with no reason at all even though it was looking healthy, so this TOTALLY makes sense now. I’m going to start researching how to deal with this immediately. Thanks so much again!
Check the underside of the montipora, that’s where they feed and lay their eggs. I have read about a high dose of flatworm exit to kill them off but you have to remove invertebrates and repeat treatment every few days to get the newly hatched eggs. No dips or treatment kill the eggs. Good luck

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grr i hate these things, i think bayers dip works for the adults, if possible i would move the whole rock its on with it to qt, or maybe just frag it and chuck the whole base. then dip the fragged off piece

OP
OP
gr8pretender

gr8pretender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the underside of the montipora, that’s where they feed and lay their eggs. I have read about a high dose of flatworm exit to kill them off but you have to remove invertebrates and repeat treatment every few days to get the newly hatched eggs. No dips or treatment kill the eggs. Good luck
Wow, so I checked the underside of an encrusting monti plug and SURE enough, another one... twice as big. Also I did dip with CoralRX everything before putting new corals into the tank, so makes CoralRX definitely didn’t work.

19414F6E-F7D3-46E2-92F0-F4B7C81BFAB2.jpeg

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whenever u get monti in the future imo, always remove from frag plug, then 2 dips, 1 in revive or coral rx and then 1 in bayers

OP
OP
gr8pretender

gr8pretender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whenever u get monti in the future imo, always remove from frag plug, then 2 dips, 1 in revive or coral rx and then 1 in bayers
Well here’s my new question actually then, do they eat Alves? Because they weren’t on the monti’s originally. I actually asked about what might have been them on another thread... but it didn’t look like nudibranchs at the time. They weren’t crawling around or anything. I had seen a white fuzz on some alveoporas I got recently but decided based on replies that it was maybe just the roots of the alveopora? Though one person thought it was nudi’s. Anywho, here is the original photo from my post asking about the white fuzz. Could have it been the nudi’s all along?

D34803E1-BCC1-442A-BAD2-19D6146B54FD.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those almost look like zoa spiders, im not sure if nudibranch effect gonis, they never did anything to mine. I cant help with treatment because i went full scorched earth but i also had bubble algae and vermetids, i fragged, dipped and scrubbed all my corals, muriatic acid cooked my rock, etc. but thats a last ditch effort

Lopezag1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s my new question actually then, do they eat Alves? Because they weren’t on the monti’s originally. I actually asked about what might have been them on another thread... but it didn’t look like nudibranchs at the time. They weren’t crawling around or anything. I had seen a white fuzz on some alveoporas I got recently but decided based on replies that it was maybe just the roots of the alveopora? Though one person thought it was nudi’s. Anywho, here is the original photo from my post asking about the white fuzz. Could have it been the nudi’s all along?

D34803E1-BCC1-442A-BAD2-19D6146B54FD.jpeg
Yes they will. Have lost two to them. Having a super hard time dealing with them. So upset about it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is everyone's favorite dip for the monti-eating nudis?

I don't keep nor trade very many, so I know where mine came in from. They came off in a potassium chloride dip I typically use for acropora, but they did not die which surprised me.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I got monti eating nudis around Halloween. Treating all my corals ended up killing them. Actually, I suspect it was the tank I put them in that just wasn’t ready for montis. The alk was all over the place. Bayers dip for sure. And get a tooth brush and mark it so you know it’s the Bayers tooth brush and use it to Scrub around the frag plug to get off any eggs.

aiptasia eating nudis starve quickly. They look really pretty and fluffy. Like a fluffy dog. Imo, monti eating nudis look more like broken snow flakes are all over it. ❄️ It’s still pretty, but more jagged and not soft.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasse helped me with these
I have some springeri damsels in there but they aren't cutting it apparently. I need to reload on six lines anyway. For some reason they keep jumping from those two frag tanks.

Thanks for the reminder.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. I got monti eating nudis around Halloween. Treating all my corals ended up killing them. Actually, I suspect it was the tank I put them in that just wasn’t ready for montis. The alk was all over the place. Bayers dip for sure. And get a tooth brush and mark it so you know it’s the Bayers tooth brush and use it to Scrub around the frag plug to get off any eggs.

aiptasia eating nudis starve quickly. They look really pretty and fluffy. Like a fluffy dog. Imo, monti eating nudis look more like broken snow flakes are all over it. ❄️ It’s still pretty, but more jagged and not soft.
I have a solid ID on these critters. They are cute but really doing a number on a rack full of bubblegum digi. No great loss as I can barely give the stuff away fast enough. But now I can't even do that!

Have fun at reefapalooza this weekend. While I am all vaxxed up and ready to travel, it just didn't line up for me this year against some family travel plans. I will just go to the NY one in June.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done 10 minute coralrx dips and they have survived. It knocks some back but bayer almost certainly works better. Doesn’t kill the eggs though, so watch for new ones

Back