Nuisance Algae

Kimbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all,

I've had my nano tank up and running for about 2 months, it's a 20 gallon.
Can anyone tell me what type or algae this is and what would be the best solution to get rid of it, ie clean up crew or fish?

I'm struggling with my phosphates and nitrates at the moment and do weekly water changes
Nitrates are sitting at 0 ppm
Phosphates are high at 0.56 ppm
Alkalinity is 9 dkh

Any solutions or advice would be greatly appreciated

20230428_072637.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just normal algae. At 2 months, your tank is getting into the ugly stages, its a normal cycle that we all go through.

Best is manual removal, toothbrush and syphon weekly.
Get good testing kits and keep track of phosphates and nitrates, and use corrective action if the nutrients get too high.
Start increasing your clean up crew, get more algae grazing critters.

It takes months up to more than a year to get through this stage. Be patient, educate yourself on how to control algae, and keep on top of your husbandry practice.

OP
OP
Kimbob

Kimbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just normal algae. At 2 months, your tank is getting into the ugly stages, its a normal cycle that we all go through.

Best is manual removal, toothbrush and syphon weekly.
Get good testing kits and keep track of phosphates and nitrates, and use corrective action if the nutrients get too high.
Start increasing your clean up crew, get more algae grazing critters.

It takes months up to more than a year to get through this stage. Be patient, educate yourself on how to control algae, and keep on top of your husbandry practice.
Thanks for the advice, which critters would you recommend?

I'll start cleaning with the manual removal. I have Hanna test kits so that helps me monitor the nutrients.

Cheers

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a smaller tank like that I think the most effective snails would be trochus snails, florida ceriths, and dwarf ceriths. I’m not a fan of mixing hermits with snails because ultimately the hermits will kill the snails as they are a more inviting meal. A small tuxedo urchin would be helpful as well but they can tend to pick things up that aren’t secured.

Reducing the phosphate is a good idea but won’t be a silver bullet. Algae in a young tank will just be a fact of life. In my experience if you stick with it long enough, the algae will go away and you’ll end up BUYING algae to feed the herbivores.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back