Nuisance ID needed plz

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really doesn't matter what those tests say if it is Dino's. They feed on silicates and the only way to get rid of them is to completely stop all water changes and let the Dino's consume all of the silicates and basically use up the food source and die. It could take up to six months for this to happen. Been there done that.

I believe your thinking of Diatoms. Not dinoflagellates, which do not consume silicates ;)

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more in agreement. Dinoflagellates feed on algal plankton, particulate organics, and other dinoflagellates. Diatoms are silica incased.

OP
OP
Beradd

Beradd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the weekend and super bowl and my work I did not make it to the LFS or water tests. I will buy a test kit after my appointments today. But with the diagnosis of dinos flying around and the research I have done, I decided that since it looked like a mild case I would go with a 72 hour black out as im seeing a few others do here. I hope this is the rite choice...but either way its on.... the tanks lights are off the tank is covered with a black sheet and a fan placed blowing on the sump. skimmer is dialed in ....top off through the ATO is a kalkwasser dilution. planning a 15gal water change wed after the black out time is up. will be siphoning and storming the tank to get as much out as possible.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. Thats definitely going in the right direction.

OP
OP
Beradd

Beradd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 Hour black is done. Just before lights on, I stormed the tank with a power head and cleaned the overflow box out and swapped the overflow sponge out after. did a 5 gal water changed ...pulled out that one frag of what I call pigpen palys that had persistent GHA and 50% H2O2 dip. everything looks great...some of my Zoa's that I recently got decided to open up more during the darkness...Finally. Not seeing any algae or anything dino,cyno,diatom like at all. Tank looks great. will post some some follow up pix. thanks for the help. will update if anything re-arises. B

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back