Nuisance starfish

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
5,851
Reaction score
9,613
Location
Gulf Breeze, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than Asterina starfish (and the crown of thorns, haha), are there any nuisance starfish that we might encounter in this hobby?

The reason I ask is that this morning, while everything was dark, I took out the flashlight and was surprised to see a small (1" or so) six armed starfish on the back glass. I added some new corals a couple of days ago, and he is probably a hitchhiker on one of those. He looked like a tiny, six armed version of my serpent star. I didn't get a chance to take a picture as he was gone before I could grab the camera.

I did some research about nuisance starfish, and all I could turn up was articles about Asterina starfish. Thoughts?
 
I have hundreds of them in my Nano if they look white and stringy arms they are harmless
 
Mini brittle star would be my guess. They do a good job of cleaning up in very tiny and tight spaces. They are harmless as far as I know
 
Algae eaters. You'll always will have some. If they are over running your tank, a Harlequin Shrimp will take care of them. Note you'll need to feed the Harley starfish after your tank is cleared up or give to another member that needs their tank cleaned up. My club passed one around to @10 tanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new