Nuked Tank

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got great answers the first time. I did something (I think) wrong to my tank and literally wiped out several corals virtually overnight.
Causes...
A) Filter Socks that were washed with bleach and detergent, although rinsed twice. Could be the problem.
B) Stirred up over 50% of my DSB working in some larger/newer substrate.
C) Unknown????

Is it possible I'm way under on something like calcium or alkalinity? I've done so many water changes and nothing is showing signs of bouncing back. I'm at a total loss and figure maybe I should test. I use Instant Ocean by the way at about 1.025. Is there a good test kit anyone would recommend that would detect possibly some things I'm missing? I have the old school "ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph" test kit.

Thanks as always!!!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what exactly happened too the corals? And what type were they? And how long have you had them?

How long has the tank been set up? Some pictures of what is going on will help

Running some carbon can't hurt right now. It'll help remove some of whatever is in the water.

Do you have a test kit for alkalinity and calcium?

OP
OP
RDUB58

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what exactly happened too the corals? And what type were they? And how long have you had them?

How long has the tank been set up? Some pictures of what is going on will help

Running some carbon can't hurt right now. It'll help remove some of whatever is in the water.

Do you have a test kit for alkalinity and calcium?
Hey thanks for the reply. Well one of the most obvious was the almost instant bleaching of my montipora. Like literally could see the green peeling off and floating into the water column. 4 headed frogspawn is so sucked in you can barely see any tissue left. Anemone is holding his own. Keyna trees went from full polyps and growing to maybe just the leather stalk, but zero polpyps. Tanks is about 3 months old.

OP
OP
RDUB58

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all a sad version of what they were. Duncan had 2-3 inch tentacles. Zoas were flat, full disks.

20200426_215918.jpg 20200426_215957.jpg 20200426_215947.jpg 20200426_215934.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be either or both of the possibilities you mentioned. I would do a large water change and run carbon (through a reactor if you can).
I always wash my filter socks with bleach only (don't use splash-proof or scented), give two good rinses, and let them dry thoroughly before using.
Also, by stirring up that much of the deep sand bed, you may have altered your parameters significantly.
Do you know what your NO3 and PO4 were before and after the sand bed cleaning were?
What test kits are you currently using, and what are you testing for?

OP
OP
RDUB58

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be either or both of the possibilities you mentioned. I would do a large water change and run carbon (through a reactor if you can).
I always wash my filter socks with bleach only (don't use splash-proof or scented), give two good rinses, and let them dry thoroughly before using.
Also, by stirring up that much of the deep sand bed, you may have altered your parameters significantly.
Do you know what your NO3 and PO4 were before and after the sand bed cleaning were?
What test kits are you currently using, and what are you testing for?

As of now, I've only test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, temp and PH. Nitrate was good. Unsure about Phosphate. Do have some GHA but also a decent bed of macro in my sump.

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man! just seeing you on here now! That hammer does look really sad. I see some aphasia around one of the corals and was almost wondering if they were stinging and annoying a few corals. Not sure though. I do have salifert tests for mag, cal, and alk if you wanted to borrow them. What specific instant ocean salt are you using?? What are your results for nitrate, nitrite, and PH? also are you using a refractometer?? when was the last time you calibrated it?

Cole presley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or - it could be how you washed the socks? how much bleach did you use? no detergent correct? bleach has no scent and was not splash less right?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back