Nurtrient export/filtration questions

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I hope your weeks are going well! This community has been so incredibly helpful to a total saltwater noob like me. I've finally got my tank set up the way I wanted but that last thing I want to tweak is my macro algae and filtration set up. Right now I have a Fiji Cube 20g AIO that is about 4 months old. I'm using the middle section as my fuge and have some Chaeto , pods, and marine pure blocks as my bio filter.

I am hoping to get your guidance on the following:

Macro Algae
  • My Chaeto has really failed to flourish since upgrading from an HOB fuge. It keeps breaking apart into little strands and seems almost brittle. I am using a 12w plant light on 24hrs. Do you recommend moving to a 12hr on 12hr off cycle instead?
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.27.55 AM.png

• As my chaeto breaks down the little strands make their way into the return chamber. Initially my pump starts to clog but then it start pumping the strands into the DT. Is there anything you'd recommend to keep this from happening?
  • In terms of Macros, is there any benefit to having more than one species in the fuge?
Filtration
  • I am trying to keep this system fairly simple so was wondering what sort of extra filtration you all recommend? Would putting an activated carbon pouch down near the fuge outlet do any good?
Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? If there's no nitrates in the system for the chaeto to feed on then carbon will compound the issue.

Upvote 0

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twenty four hour lighting isn't really good for the algae. Also you are only dealing with 20 gallons that means trace element depletion is going to happen quickly. It is very likely the chaeto is sucking the iron out of your tank.

If I were you I would go to a reverse lighting schedule and get and ICP test to see where your traces are.

Upvote 0

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto needs time to rest, wouldn't keep light on for 24/7. Did u have chaeto growing in HOB fuge? sounds like its starving due to lack of nutrient in water, i.e. tank is too clean. Meanwhile, u can try placing filter floss in the baffle to trap chaeto debris. For my tank, I only use activated carbon sporadically, it's purpose is to remove any harmful chems from water and not intended for nutrient control, i.e. NO3 & PO4.

Upvote 0

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest removing the chaeto and using caulerpa instead. I run it 12on/12off and have had no problems with it crashing or releasing spores, despite the scary stories that so many people have spread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twenty four hour lighting isn't really good for the algae. Also you are only dealing with 20 gallons that means trace element depletion is going to happen quickly. It is very likely the chaeto is sucking the iron out of your tank.

If I were you I would go to a reverse lighting schedule and get and ICP test to see where your traces are.
Chaeto needs time to rest, wouldn't keep light on for 24/7. Did u have chaeto growing in HOB fuge? sounds like its starving due to lack of nutrient in water, i.e. tank is too clean. Meanwhile, u can try placing filter floss in the baffle to trap chaeto debris. For my tank, I only use activated carbon sporadically, it's purpose is to remove any harmful chems from water and not intended for nutrient control, i.e. NO3 & PO4.
It did great when it was in the HOB fuge but the fuge cover was semi opaque so it's definitely getting much more/intense light now. I'm going to put the light on a timer. This is the first I am hearing of ICP testing but it does look like a good way to get a feel for what trace elements missing from my water source. Thanks for the recommendations!!

Upvote 0

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest removing the chaeto and using caulerpa instead. I run it 12on/12off and have had no problems with it crashing or releasing spores, despite the scary stories that so many people have spread.
same here, for the life of me I couldn't grow chaeto but caulerpa does fantastic in my sump w/o releasing spores. As an added bonus, I feed the caulerpa in display that the Foxface gobbles up - circle of life.

Upvote 0
Back